Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The latest example of why a pre-inspection is the best money you'll ever spend

The latest example of why a pre-inspection is the best money you'll ever spend

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...orcev4exp=true

A few months ago I bought this Porsche 911 Targa 1972. Unfortunately, the car is very bad. Although the Classic Car seller from Saint Louis advertised that the Porsche was restored very beautiful. I would like to place an ad fair, therefore the full list of defects;

I have 62 photos of damage, and this is without the pictures of the engine. It is certainly not “beautifull restauration”. COA Porsche document is not in the car (is the car really matching number ??)

Whole car is full of filler. Rust holes are filled with thin layer of filler.

Rear Deck, can not be mounted, chassis inside is rotten from rust

Front Fender Left , rust holes on the inside filled with Teflon tape

Front Fender right, holes on the bottom side. Front Bumper is completely rust holes

Rear Panel, filler and fiber mats. Chassis left, inner sill outer sill, pieces welded.

Chassis right, painted on the rust over inner sill. Rusted doors on left and right on bottom. Hood completely rust full of filter

Chrome frames are glued on the chassis, and let loose. Door and window on driver are skewed

Almost all rubbers are loose or badly glued. The tires are torn and completely dried out.

On almost all rubbers sits paint. Driver's seat, the frame is broken. Wheelhouse rubber, left and right torn

Air condition is not working. Hazard is not working. Beam is not working. One window does not close

Gearbox oil leaks. Engine block is leaking a lot of oil (it trickles out)

Heat exchanger is sprayed with silver flammable paint. Oil level transmitter is unusable

All rubbers in the suspension are porous or rotten.Raised wheel HUB steerwheel is not in the car !

(The steering has exceeding play).Radio “Frankfurt” is not in the car !

Shock absorbers are worn. Head gaskets must be replacement. Wiper pump and watertank is missing

Next time i buy a car, I google ; " company name + complaints "

Excuse me Sir for my silly question ... did u really buy a car without even seeing it, not to mention without trying it???
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Daniel Schmitt & Company . . .

. . . Classic Car Gallery . . .

http://www.schmitt.com/

. . . A family tradition for over 40 years, selling classic and fine motorcars throughout the world . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Three thoughts:

-The classic case of if it looks to good to be true it usually is....

- Past behavior predicts future behavior... Research any prospective seller before you buy. Consistent bad Information/reviews/experiences means don't do business with this seller!

- Trust but verify... Inspect the car personally and conduct a PPI with a well regarded Porsche expert who is not connected to the seller. So many people make the excuse that traveling to see the car in person is too time consuming, expensive, inconvenient, etc. how time consuming, expensive and inconvenient is it to buy the wrong car??

More Daniel Schmitt & Company . . .

. . . Welcome to our Web site. We appreciate you taking the time to visit us online. Here at Daniel Schmitt & Co. , we devote ourselves to serving our clientele to the best of our ability. It is our privilege to have you come in and drive the car of your dreams home. Our goal is to offer the most enjoyable experience, which our customers have come to expect and rely on for all of their automotive needs. Please E-Mail us with any questions you may have and we will be happy to assist you . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by BrentF View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...orcev4exp=true

A few months ago I bought this Porsche 911 Targa 1972. Unfortunately, the car is very bad. Although the Classic Car seller from Saint Louis advertised that the Porsche was restored very beautiful. I would like to place an ad fair, therefore the full list of defects;

I have 62 photos of damage, and this is without the pictures of the engine. It is certainly not “beautifull restauration”. COA Porsche document is not in the car (is the car really matching number ??)

Whole car is full of filler. Rust holes are filled with thin layer of filler.

Rear Deck, can not be mounted, chassis inside is rotten from rust

Front Fender Left , rust holes on the inside filled with Teflon tape

Front Fender right, holes on the bottom side. Front Bumper is completely rust holes

Rear Panel, filler and fiber mats. Chassis left, inner sill outer sill, pieces welded.

Chassis right, painted on the rust over inner sill. Rusted doors on left and right on bottom. Hood completely rust full of filter

Chrome frames are glued on the chassis, and let loose. Door and window on driver are skewed

Almost all rubbers are loose or badly glued. The tires are torn and completely dried out.

On almost all rubbers sits paint. Driver's seat, the frame is broken. Wheelhouse rubber, left and right torn

Air condition is not working. Hazard is not working. Beam is not working. One window does not close

Gearbox oil leaks. Engine block is leaking a lot of oil (it trickles out)

Heat exchanger is sprayed with silver flammable paint. Oil level transmitter is unusable

All rubbers in the suspension are porous or rotten.Raised wheel HUB steerwheel is not in the car !

(The steering has exceeding play).Radio “Frankfurt” is not in the car !

Shock absorbers are worn. Head gaskets must be replacement. Wiper pump and watertank is missing

Next time i buy a car, I google ; " company name + complaints "
    Bummer....
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . Classic Car Gallery . . .

http://www.schmitt.com/

. . . A family tradition for over 40 years, selling classic and fine motorcars throughout the world . . .
    Good detective work...

That's really atrocious... do you have no recourse to the seller in terms of bill of sale/contract? Under advertising law, surely this is a clear case of misrepresentation? (I am not a lawyer, but...). How disappointing to get scammed this way...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by Biancaneve View Post
    Excuse me Sir for my silly question ... did u really buy a car without even seeing it, not to mention without trying it???
    Sorry for any possible confusion about my thread. The quote about: "A few months ago I bought this Porsche 911 Targa 1972" is a quote taken from the Ebay listing. It pertains to someone else's situation and not mine. When I bought my '70 911 on Ebay that was located in Tucson (I am in Toronto) I made the purchase subject to a pre-inspection before I paid a cent. Had the PPI done by Group One MotorWerks in Tucson and everything checked out as represented in the Ebay listing (i.e. no rust, etc.). Only then, did I make payment for the vehicle. Also had the seller install 2 new batteries at his expense, since transport companies hate cars that aren't reliable starters.

FWIW here was my PPI:

Last edited by BrentF; 07-24-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Yes, I believe there is another thread here regarding this unfortunate situation.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)