Thread: New 911t 1971 owner saying hello

New 911t 1971 owner saying hello

Just been told to join up here with some like minded fellows on another forum

thought I would just say hello, just bought a matching numbers 911t, it's a US import to the UK

Need a few bits doing (well lots of things) firstly the breaks as they are rubbish and not very confidence inspiring. So I will be looking at that first along with the seats as the drivers seat has all but collapsed. I will be restoring it to period although an ST rep is calling to me badly

So sort breaks and interior niggles before winter then look at mechanicals in the winter

So I will hopefully will be pulling on all your knowledge

Here's a couple of pics
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  85.8 KB
    and the last one shows Jim (last owner) and an old chap called Irwin. Irwin went around to see Jim when he heard that Jim had re-commissioned the car because Irwin had purchased the car brand new in 1971 (when apparently he was 29….)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  189.5 KB

Welcome. Great first post.

My vote - keep it original as you move through the car, only replacing or redoing what is absolutely necessary. You can't 'unring' the ST bell once you start...

From what part of the country is the car? It looks like I see a North Carolina plate in the garage above, but it's hard to tell...
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Thumbs up

Welcome to the board .... your adventures have just begun......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    Welcome. Great first post.

My vote - keep it original as you move through the car, only replacing or redoing what is absolutely necessary. You can't 'unring' the ST bell once you start...

From what part of the country is the car? It looks like I see a North Carolina plate in the garage above, but it's hard to tell...
    your right the more I think about it, it will stay original as possible but I do want to add some cibie's. I will have all the paperwork on Saturday as i bought it from a UK dealer and collecting it then (I didn't pay attention to the owners address)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Welcome to the board .... your adventures have just begun......
    the sure have! I need to sort the breaks urgently so I can have confidence in it and I know there is room for improvement on these as I had test driven a few T's and all their breaks had better bite than this. any suggestions on what i could do?

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Greetings !
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Quote Originally Posted by ITGEEK View Post
    the sure have! I need to sort the breaks urgently so I can have confidence in it and I know there is room for improvement on these as I had test driven a few T's and all their breaks had better bite than this. any suggestions on what i could do?
    I am no expert by any means, but in your situation I would change the break fluid, check the brakes for any obvious wear and if nothing looks broken, just drive, drive, drive. You’ll find that these cars run better and more reliable the more you drive them. That is my experience. The break fluid flush is something you can do yourself, just head over to pelicanparts.com for some more "hands on" information.

It was a hard lesson because I previously left it sitting in the garage, thinking that an air tight bubble would be the best way to preserve the car and keep it reliable... oh how wrong I was. The more (and harder) I drive the car, the better it runs.

Congratulations on your car, enjoy it!

Welcome - ownership is a joy!

Welcome, and lovely car. Congratulations!
    In addition to flushing the brake fluid, you should also check the soft brake lines and replace if they look at all old. This is a simple job and an easy "while you're in there" activity to add to the flush.
    Also check the pads. Pad type can impact the "bite" feeling. Racing/auto x pads need to be hot to work well. Although your car doesn't look like its been raced, some people buy this type of pad mistakenly thinking that it's a performance upgrade.

Enjoy getting to know your new car!

Kent
    Last edited by kentf14; 07-25-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306