Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1936 Bugatti Type 57SC "Atlantique" Coupe

1936 Bugatti Type 57SC "Atlantique" Coupe

Drove to Dana Point last weekend and enjoyed the annual 356 Club Concours, presented this year with much greater 911 content, but since others have already posted lots of reports and pictures about this event, I'd like to concentrate on another aspect of my trip to southern California.

I had made arrangements for a private "by-appointment" tour of the wonderful Peter Mullin Automotive Museum in Oxnard on the Monday after the above. I had been there once before, in June of '10, but Peter M. hadn't purchased what has since become the centerpiece of his collection, the '36 Bugatti Type 57 Atlantic Coupe, from the late Dr. Williamson's estate yet at the time. Right after the purchase, for which he paid a record price for any automobile up to that time incidentally, a whopping US $34.3 Million, the car went to Retromobile in Paris along with the Voisin Aerodyne Sedan, which was the winner of the '12 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance "Best of Show" award. Now that the unique Bugatti Coupe has returned to its splendidly reconstructed digs in Oxnard, the timing for a follow-up visit worked out perfectly.

The unquestioned pinnacle of Ettore Bugatti's efforts to build the best engineered, fastest, most beautiful, most exotic and most expensive sports cars the world had known up to that point came together in 1936 through 1938 when he took his extremely successful straight-eight cylinder, supercharged Type 59 Grand-Prix engine of 2.8 liters, enlarged it to approx. 3.3 liters and gave his very artistically talented son Jean Bugatti the assignment to design the ultimate 2-seater Grand Touring Coupe around the drivetrain and the latest steel-ladder type "surbaisse" ( French for "lowered" ) chassis, with the solid rear axle running through the longitudinal frame members instead of under the frame rails, as in previous designs.

Four Atlantique Coupes were built in the period just before WW II, with the light metallic blue car featured at the Mullin Museum being the first model, built in '36 specifically for the Baron de Rothshild, being sent back to the factory for major modifications, and then modified and restored several times during its life by subsequent owners and finally purchased by its last owner, famous East Coast neurologist Dr. Williamson for the then unheard of sum of $59,000. More than 30 years later, Peter Mullin spent more than 34 million in '11 to make it his. All the photos below except #2 and #3 are of this car.

The second second car was severely damaged in a major accident involving a train in France. Since the married driver and his female passenger, who was not his wife, both died in the collision, the family, seeking to avoid a scandal had the car squirreled away in a shed where it stayed for decades until a very shoddy restoration 30 years ago or so using inexperienced workers and many non-original parts and acquiring the reputation of being a replica. It was recently bought by a Swiss collector who scoured the globe for all the left-over, damaged original parts, engine, transmission, etc. and finally re-united the fully and this time expertly restored parts to make it the third, albeit, least authentic of the three surviving models. It's the slate grey car which was presented at Pebble Beach in '10.

Number three is the last surviving Atlantique, i.e. the highest Serial numbered car. It is the black '38 Coupe which was restored masterfully by the Paul Russell organization for Ralph Lauren in the mid '90s. It has since won "Best of Show" at Pebble Beach in the late '90s, and earlier this year won "Best of Show" at the Villa d'Este Concours. The attached photo of the car is when it was on display last year at the Louvre in Paris along with the bulk of the R. Lauren Collection.

Number four was totally destroyed in another incident involving a train somewhere in France shortly after it was sold and is agreed to be lost forever, with no trails left to follow and explore.

It's difficult to describe the feeling that overcomes the observer when you are mere inches away from one of the most iconic cars ever produced. The towering presence of one of the most beautiful forms ever on four wheels, no matter where you encounter one of these treasures, perhaps the knowledge that you are in the presence of an object for which a man just paid almost 35 million dollars and was the most expensive car ever sold for less than a year until the $ 35 mill. a Seattle collector paid for a highly original Series I 250 Ferrari GTO eclipsed that price by a few hundred thousand dollars all conspire to elevate the vanishingly small number of the surviving three Atlantics to the status of the best, most collectable of fine art, but I openly confess that it is very similar to the feeling of quietly gazing at the Mona Lisa or being completely awed and made to feel very insignificant by Michelangelo's Pieta in St. Peters.

I feel singularly fortunate and privileged to have seen all three of these cars and to have had the opportunity to record their images with a camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 07-26-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

.......and another set of five to more fully exploit this unique opportunity to photograph one of the rarest and most desired automobiles in the world.

Hope you enjoy this post as much as I did seeing the car on its turntable. Unforgettable.

JZG
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 07-28-2013 at 10:00 AM.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

JZG - Absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing!
    Seth O.

ESR #2474
    1966 911 - '77 2.7L Hot Rod
    1967 Pontiac Bonneville - '70 455
    2000 996

WANTED: 1966 Transaxle 229835-902/1

The Atlantics are simply amazing; I've seen two of the three survivors. In 2003 Dr. Peter Williamson won Best of Show at Pebble with the car now at Mullin. I think that the S surbaisse is more correctly translated as "underslung" and of course the C stands for compresseur, or supercharged. Forty years ago I attended a Bugatti Owners Club meet and first heard the sound of a couple of 57's -- an SC Atalante and a C Ventoux. The melodious burble of the big supercharged Bugatti Type 57SC straight-8 is something that you just don't hear in post-war cars, at the same time less mechanically high-strung than the T.35 Grand Prix cars of the late twenties.

Great posting, thank you for sharing.

I find it noteworthy that Ralph Lauren’s car was originally "Dark Sapphire Blue" until he chose to change the color to black during the restoration. And yet it still won "Best of Show" at the Villa d'Este Concours…*

Fabulous !!! Thanks for posting John.
    Rob Abbott

If you haven't been to the Mullin facility put it on your list. It's one of the top museums in the world. The way he displays the cars is superb. I really wasn't into French cars until I spend a half day in the place. btw - That's the old Otis Chandler facility.

Richard Newton

Wonderful photos John. The Mullin Collection is definitely spectacular. Great short history on that car too. Bugattis are definitely a unique object d'art in the automotive world. Almost as good to look at (like fine art) as drive. Driving one is an experience all unto its own. Mechanical and exhaust noises unique only to a Bugatti. While they look slow as molasses on the track (Type 35, 37, 51, and 59), they are anything but from behind the wheel. Real men raced these back in the 30's (and many died doing so too). Wonderful machines...

Check out Jay Leno's Garage on You Tube for a 15 minute feature on a Type 51. He gives a very accurate description of the experience.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

As special as the Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic is, my personal favorite Bugatti in the Mullin collection is this 1929 Type 46 Semi-profilee coupe, also a Jean Bugatti design. The Type 46 was a super-luxury car which Denis Jenkinson has called a "mini-Royale" because its engine is a down-scaled 5.3-liter version of the Royale's 12.8-liter basic engine design. This engine also provided the basis of the Type 50B Grand Prix car and an aero engine as well.

The Semi-profiee coupe in the Mullin collection has a recreation body, but is otherwise perfect in every way.
    Last edited by Nine17; 07-30-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Getting back to the Atlantic Coupe, I just recalled that earlier this year I was treated to the extremely rare sight of a highly original, well maintained 1934 Bugatti Type 59 Grand Prix racer at this year's Sonoma Historic Motorsports Festival,.......you know, the Wine Country Classic at Sears Point Raceway - oops, sorry, meant to say Sonoma Raceway. The car is one of four surviving, documented Type 59 race cars left on the planet and is owned by a local collector.

The specs are classic Bugatti for the era: straight-eight cylinder 3243 ( 3.3 liter ) cc, twin-overhead cam engine, dry sump, supercharged with twin carburetors, via 4-speed transmission to live rear axle. Solid axle in front, leaf springs at all 4 corners, mechanical, cable operated brakes all around with radially laced wire wheels. My only regret is that I did not take video in stereo so you could hear that frenzied baritone cackle while warming up. The combination of gear-driven cams ( no chains for Le Patron ) open exhaust and very high final compression is downright intoxicating.

The main reason I'm posting these shots is to augment the photos from the museum. If you were to strip the Mullin Atlantic to the bare chassis, this is what you would essentially see under the Coupe's striking aluminum skin. Probably the biggest deviation from the Grand Prix car is that the frame rails are spread apart in the driver / passenger area to accommodate two persons and that the rails are lengthened slightly to provide a slightly longer wheelbase as well as room for a modest luggage carrying space, a larger tank for long-range touring, and a spare tire in the rear.

The other reason is to more vividly illustrate the Bugatti philosophy of his cars being more art than mechanical device. The aesthetics of an almost 80 year old race car are simply of another time. Ettore believed fervently in the oldest engineering adage of all...........if it looks right, it probably is right, and made sure his cars always represented the absolute peak of expressing his beliefs.

Enjoy, for such cars will never be built this way again. One can only marvel at the hand-shaped copper tubing oil cooler, all fasteners in a Bugatti were made in-house, every critical fastener on the car was cotter-pinned using castellated nuts, or safety-wired aircraft-style, the choices of various materials, the craftsmanship of the hand-made parts, and on, and on. The steering column connector in leather, because the rubber of the day wasn't durable enough. You could spend hours studying the details, and all of it built with beauty as well as function in mind.

JZG
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 07-28-2013 at 09:04 AM.