Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil level quandary

oil level quandary

I have a quandary over the correct oil levels in my 73 T with S engine .
    Following a couple of threads early this year it was advised to disregard the gauge due to age and rely on the dip stick ....

so i did a oil change and followed the red book spec stating that a 73s should take 11 ltrs of oil ( plus/minus) with whats left in the cooler lines etc....

When i followed this the gauge was close to level at temp and just needed a top up ....BUT the oil did not touch the dip stick ..
    the issue here is of cause we have a 73 mfi S engine in a T body , and although most S items have been swapped over did the oil tank ? or is the dip stick in correct for the model tank ...

I decided to increase the oil so that at temp it was just over the minimum line on the dip stick and have run it for a few months like this , now we have the gauge level off the chart at temp, oil pressure under rpm very high and leaks occurring over the engine ...to much oil

i am led to believe that i should believe the gauge level at heat . So any wisdom out there to relay
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

I vote for the wrong stick, all the T, E, S, tanks were the same for 73.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

On my 73.5 with original trombone cooler, the dipstick pretty much matches the gauge - at least from my experience in owning the car for the last 25 years.

According to my manual, the oil capacity is 2.91 gal for standard and 3.56 with the oil cooler. My car has always read at the halfway mark with about 13 quarts.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

member #1515
    Is oil spitting out into the air filter housing? What is the length of your dipstick?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    Is oil spitting out into the air filter housing? What is the length of your dipstick?
    Not so much the filter housing but spring leaks on the engine oil cooler seals , puffing a bit more through exhust.
    Oil dip stick is approx 250mm long
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook

member #1515
    250 mm is spot on the same as mine in my 73S. I don't think excess oil would cause a leak in your cooler. When I put a little too much in it goes to the bottom of the air filter then drains to the floor.
    David

Well lets look at it another way , give me the oil pressure figures at different rpm that i should be running and then i can work that against the gauge level
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook

member #1515
    Oil pressure and oil level have almost no relation unless you don't have any oil. but here is a good link to oil pressure,not level.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Pressure-Issue
    Last edited by RSTarga; 07-27-2013 at 04:10 AM.
    David

According to my manual oil pressure shoud read 70 psi in E and S, 64 in T due to different location of sensor, at 5500 rpm.
    I don't think the level is your problem. Oil pressure is independant of level, unless it is too low to feed the pump. It is controlled by the pressure relief valves. Over filling would not increase pressure, it would just cause oil to get into the air box. It might be time to replace some seals. What is the history of the engine and it's mileage?
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T