Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 71 911e a/c keep or remove

71 911e a/c keep or remove

Greetings: new to the registry and have a question. I have a 71e targa that has been napping for 34 years. Purchased new by my father, all original, undamaged, no rust, even has original XAS tires with 77666 miles on them! In the process of getting it road worthy-new front suspension to replace failed Boge self leveling etc., fuel tank being restored , lines, brakes, etc., etc. Question, car has dealer installed Cool Air a/c with big York compressor. Does removal hurt value? Is there a market for take offs? System is undamaged-just subjected to same 34 year nap. Thoughts?

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    question really is I guess, do you want AC in your car? or are you just flipping the car for profit?
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

I am keeping the car. a/c is not a requirement in the Pacific Northwest and it does reduce performance. If removal has a significant negative impact on value, I would want to asses carefully before doing so.

If you prefer Preservation, I would leave it alone...

If you prefer Performance, you can certainly remove it...

If it's on the COA, in my opinion, it would be best to leave it alone (especially if you plan to sell one day)...

Ultimately, it's your car...good luck with your decision!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I am also interested in this topic as quite a few cars of that era that come up for sale have a dealer installed a/c. Was there even a factory option for a/c? Purely from an aesthetic standpoint I am not a big fan of those vents under the dash and am curious to see how it will affect value and the ease of removal of the compressor, condenser, controls?

There is no trade-off between Performance and Preservation if you simply remove the drive belt to the compressor. As for me, I'd keep the A/C intact irrespective of whether you plan on using it. It's part of the car's history of ownership by your father and the next owner (after you) might assign great additional value to it. Kind of a no-brainer in my opinion.

One point for your consideration is that the removal will leave you with the alterations made during installation.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Thank you. A/c is not on the original window sticker that I have. The car was landed in S.F. CA, trucked to Portland, OR where we picked up the car. A/C was installed in Seattle.

member #1515
    I would leave it on with one caveat. The dealer installed compressors used a very deficient bracketing system that used the 10mm bolts on the chain covers to secure the bracket. Along with this the York compressor was heavy and vibrated quite a bit causing damage to the studs. This is from personal experience.
    So my recommendation would be to leave the system in place except for the removal of the compressor and bracketry. If you want a functioning system, upgrade to the SC brackets and put a Sanden compressor on. Put all of the York crap in a box and keep it in the event it becomes important.
    With the Sanden compressor and R12, it will certainly be sufficent if you take a trip inland.
    Don't go R132 unless you change everything out. It needs much more condensing capacity to operate properly.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

member #1515
    Post some pictures of your vent system some dealers used the Behr vents with other evaporator systems. Take a look under your passenger floorboard and see if they made decent cuts or just went at it with a can opener.
    Don't forget to take those tires off and put new brake and fuel hoses on. Keep the tires if you want.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs