Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering Wheel Shimmy - Is it the Bearing? - See video

Steering Wheel Shimmy - Is it the Bearing? - See video

My '66 steering wheel vibrates pretty bad over bumps. I have done some checking and it seems it may be a bearing - part number is 914 347 711 00 - but it's a pricy little piece and I want to be sure this is the problem before I order it. How the bearing or a part of it can disappear is beyond me.

When I check, it seems the bearing may be in place? But I'm not sure if it's all there. There is certainly lots of clearance between the shaft and the bearing - waay too much to just be wear. Is part of it missing? Can anyone tell me what's going on here? If it is the bearing, I assume I need a hooked seal puller or something to pull the old one out?

I posted a short video to explain.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by luke-44; 07-31-2013 at 12:37 PM.

There is a bearing and a bushing. The bushing is usually what wears out and this is what appears to be the case for you. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...l-bushing.html
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

So if I am understanding correctly, the center bushing part is missing? Where the heck could it have gone - it is metal I believe. When I look at p/n 914 347 711 00, I don't really see a bushing as such. Is my car missing the inner part of this which looks like is held together with a circlip? Also, will the $29.00 Mitch Leland bearing work on our early cars (Pelican link was for an SC) in place of this $250.00 bearing? Sounds too good to be true. And they list it as being for a '74-89 car.
    Last edited by luke-44; 07-31-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Let me guess. You replaced your steering wheel recently?
    You are missing 2 parts and no aftermarket bandaid will fix your problem. Your bearing is just fine, by the way.
    You need a spring and washer. See the pictures below. Put those 2 parts on the back of your wheel and your problems will disappear.

Regards

Jim
    PS: Those 2 parts get left off the back of steering wheels all the time when they get changed by people that don't know how important they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hi Jim. I did recently install a new steering wheel and did take the time order a new washer - 695 347 725 00 (shown below) as the old one was kinda crunched up. But it looks like I left out the spring which caused the washer to ride up the shaft, and, I am guessing, render it useless. Let me try it again with the spring in place. Thanks,

Last edited by luke-44; 07-31-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    There is a bearing and a bushing. The bushing is usually what wears out and this is what appears to be the case for you. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...l-bushing.html
    That Pelican thread has nothing to do with a 66 911 Steering shaft. That is about a post 74 steering column and is completely different than a pre 74 car.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by luke-44 View Post
    Hi Jim. I did recently install a new steering wheel and did take the time order a new washer - 695 347 725 00 as the old one was kinda crunched up. But it looks like I left out the spring which caused the washer to ride up the shaft, and, I am guessing, render it useless. Let me try again with the spring in place. Thanks,
    Bingo! You hit the nail on the head! You need the spring and washer. One part without the other is useless.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Bingo! You hit the nail on the head! You need the spring and washer. One part without the other is useless.

Regards

Jim
    And the last time I checked the split washer (really a bearing race) was NLA. I had a phone call about this very issue earlier today ... it's good to know the part is once again available.
    Last edited by Mr9146; 07-31-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    That Pelican thread has nothing to do with a 66 911 Steering shaft. That is about a post 74 steering column and is completely different than a pre 74 car.

Regards

Jim
    Kids these days, eh, Jim?
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by luke-44 View Post
    Hi Jim. I did recently install a new steering wheel and did take the time order a new washer - 695 347 725 00 (shown below) as the old one was kinda crunched up. But it looks like I left out the spring which caused the washer to ride up the shaft, and, I am guessing, render it useless. Let me try it again with the spring in place. Thanks,

At least you didn't destroy the thingamajig. Once you get the spring under that thing you will be good to go.

Regards

Jim