Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rekeying Ignition

Rekeying Ignition

My ignition and door locks take different keys. I am assuming the ignition was changed at some time by a PO as the original key fits the door locks. I would like to rekey the ignition if possible. It is one of the projects in the "101 Projects for your 911" so i am assuming it is possible. I have a '70 911T. The project in the book describes a key kit which consists of 25 tumbler pins. Is this doable and where do I locate a key kit if it is. Many thanks.

Yes, it's doable, can you do it? I have no idea of what your abilities and patience is in dealing with itty bitty parts. Take a door handle off and try it, if it all goes to pieces you can always take it to a local locksmith, they do this kind of stuff every day. I've done it, but in the long run it is more efficient for our customers for me to let the local locksmith handle this.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

member #1515
    It's easier to rekey the door locks than the ignition. You have to drill a pin out on the ignition to remove the lock and you risk destroying the switch. Take the door handles off and take them to a locksmith with your ignition key.
    At least that is what I recall, Ed?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Ed and David, thank you for your comments. Ed, would a locksmith be able to rekey the ignition? And David, if I did decide to rekey the door locks instead where would I get a key kit for our cars?

As David mentioned, I did mean for you to do the door handle, not the ignition switch. They are far easier to remove and work on for the reason David mentioned. To answer your question, yes, a locksmith could also rekey the ignition switch but that would be after you remove it and take it to him. It would be far easier as a novice to remove a door handle and make that the same as the ignition key.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

member #1515
    If by key kit you mean red and black keys, pelican sells them although I bought some from Amazon for less. There is nothing else I know of as a key kit.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

The red and black keys are just blanks. The key kit would or should contain tumbler pins so you can replace the pins in the tumbler to fit the key that you have. Kind of like having a key tumbler blank. I don't know where these would be available.

Usually the locksmith will rearrange your existing tumblers for closest fit then file them down for final fitting. To the best of my knowledge they don't buy new ones. But they may have access to new ones ? I know we've never been asked to supply any to our locksmith.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

www.lockandkeyid.com

send it to Tony Euganeo and be patient while he works. . . he is the best.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Usually the locksmith will rearrange your existing tumblers for closest fit then file them down for final fitting.
    I have used this method on multiple cars including my 71 T. Its not hard once you figure out how the tumblers work. It does help to have an extra lock cylinder to practice on.

I also like to hand cut new keys to replace those worn out aftermarket toothless relics that seem to come with 40 year old cars...
    Last edited by M_deJong; 08-04-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green