Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric antenna wiring 73 911

Electric antenna wiring 73 911

I have searched to find the wiring diagram which shows how the Hirschmann power antenna is wired. A fellow registry member was kind enough to email me the factory information on this. It did not include wiring to the oem toggle switch I have in my dash. I think the information is such that the antenna is activated through turning the radio on and off.

Does anyone know how the factory wired this when using the dash switch? or should it be wired so it is activated through the on/off switch in the radio?

Thanks again,,,,,
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

My guess is that the switch was added by someone later on so that they could control when the antenna activated instead of having it do so everytime the radio was on, maybe to save wear and tear on the antenna motor. Just go over to the headlight switch, there will be a red wire that is always hot, crimp a double piggy back spade connector to a new wire (red is best, indicates a 'hot' wire) and attach to the spade of the hot wire at the switch. Then run that wire to one side of your switch, and the other side of the switch will go to the antenna power wire. Now you can control the antenna operation.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks again Ed. This is strange and I agree with you on the dash switch, but saw the exact same switch on another rs. It makes more sense to use the radio to activate it, so I need to look deeper here to figure this out.
    John

RGruppe member 445

John
    it depends on what radio you have

mine was originally activated by turning on the radio - It is a Becker but i think most are the same. there is a connection on the radio for a wire to to electric antenna to activate it. However i had an ipod connected to the radio and dont want the antenna up when i am using it hence the cut out switch between the radio and antenna (although it really acts as a manual override switch on the antenna) While an older application would not be because of this reason it may be due to a radio cassette or similar where you would not want the antenna up if you were simply listening to the cassette

however the extra switch is not "factory" as far as i know but given that most radios were installed after market you cant rule out an installer not knowing about the automatic activation capabilities of some of these early radios and not wiring them up correctly
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

The 73 came with an in-dash antenna switch for the Hirschman electric antenna. I removed it when replacing the damaged leather dash facia. I plan to install it a simple hidden under-the-dash plate that holds this switch and the port for the iPod connector. I want the interior to look stock. I plan to install the plate such that it can easily be removed.

Here is the switch in its original spot (right of the steering wheel and left of the air distribution levers)

Name:  IMG_0432.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  94.6 KB
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Haasman,,, Thank you. I have the same switch, but do not have the plate surrounding it. I would rather not have the switch, so I am going to learn a bit more about this and may delete it. I also want a stock look and like your ide to hide the switch. That may very well be the way to go.
    John

RGruppe member 445

To me it does not look like a factory piece - rather a dealer or after market fitting. If it was factory i would have thought it would be more like the other switches or maybe the sunroof switch which are much more substantial. Also i have never seen it in any of the factory photos of the dash, eg in owners manual which shows the operation of all switches etc on the dash
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I think the correct install includes the radio activating the antenna. Does anyone know if the period Blaupunkts have that feature?
    John

RGruppe member 445

Yes, the Frankfurt model does have this.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Do you know where or what on the radio I need to connect the wire to for the radio to activate the antenna?. There are three wires,,, red, black and white. I believe it would be the white wire, but am bot sure.
    John

RGruppe member 445