Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Soft Window Targa vs Fixed window

Advice on Soft Window Targa vs Fixed window

I picked up a very solid (minimal body work needed) matching numbers, 68 normal targa. It had a fixed rear window, but thought it was an original soft window and the fixed window was installed when it had been horribly repainted at some point in its life.

After receiving the COA, it was confirmed that it came with the fixed window option.

I plan on taking car down to bare metal to return to its original color, have motor/transmission etc. rebuilt and restore the car to its 1968 glory.

Questions;

Do I do a disservice if I make this into a soft window targa, or is it recommended for resale and originality to keep it a fixed window?

Would it be more valuable as a soft window targa even though it came with a fixed window option?

Thank to all.
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC

Curtisaa here once pointed out that the 68 fixed window is rarer than the soft-window, from what I recall. May want to leave it original.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Banned
    Thought you were buying a bull only to find out it's a steer. Bummer.

1. It will never be a bull.
    2. Award winning bulls are worth a lot more than steers.

Moral: Buyers want bulls, not a steer dressed up as a bull.

Since a soft window 911 commands at least 25% (Let's plug in $30k on a finished car- that's at today's prices.) more than a glass window and both costs virtually the same to restore, I would think you would be better off selling what you have and starting over. One can still find worthy soft window restoration candidates out there and they are not 30k more than a glass window car.

Curious: Did you have a professional PPI done? How was this missed?

Reminds of the guy who bought a 911 only to find out it was a 912. Which is only a little better than discovering that your date is actually a dude.

BTW: "Rarer" doesn't always equate to more $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post

Reminds of the guy who bought a 911 only to find out it was a 912. Which is only a little better than discovering that your date is actually a dude.
    I'd like to think it is more like discovering your favorite ball player is juicing.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Curtisaa here once pointed out that the 68 fixed window is rarer than the soft-window, from what I recall. May want to leave it original.
    This is a true and accurate statement. 1968 glass window Targas' are very few, however Mr Beck is a bloviating about SWT's which are a bit more sexy !
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

IMHO - Leave it as a fixed window. Why go to the effort of restoring to original color and "it's 1968 glory" but screw it up with making it something it wasn't - a fixed window? The fact is someday you will sell this car whether it's for another car or like all of us, old age and the eventual big check out. I think in today's market the more original the better. If I was hunting for this car, I would pass on it once I saw it was converted to an unoriginal soft window. My zwei pfennig - good luck!

David
    David

1972 911T Targa
    1993 964 RSA #14
    Early S Registry #1799
    PAID MEMBER 2016-17

If the car currently has the original "rare" glass window with the vertical defrost lines then I would keep it original.

The car does not have the "rare" vertical defrost lines, I have never seen one, nor have seen any photos of one. I am wondering if this is some urban legend. Would love for someone to post a photo of vertical defrost line fixed window.

The fixed window on this car has horizontal defrost lines, and that is why I made the assumption that it was converted from the original soft window to fixed window when the previous owner painted it from its original Tangerine Orange to its current Brown (cannot figure that one out).

My car has a production completion date of 11/29/1967, listed as 1968 911 Targa, Tangerine / Black Leather with the following options;

Fixed Tinted Rear Window
    Tinted Windshield
    Loudspeaker
    Ventilated Chrome Wheels
    Wood Steering Wheel
    "Talbot" Exterior Mirror - Left
    Leather Seats - Front
    Pierelli Tires (165/15)
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC

Quote Originally Posted by Max (SD) View Post
    The car does not have the "rare" vertical defrost lines, I have never seen one, nor have seen any photos of one. I am wondering if this is some urban legend. Would love for someone to post a photo of vertical defrost line fixed window.
    Jim will verify and there are photos on this forum.
    H

Vertical defrost lines fixed window in SWB targa.