Thread: 73 door shell...need help

73 door shell...need help

I need assistance in understanding if the door shell to a 1973 911 is unique to that particular year, and here is why. As I understand it (from prior inquiries I have made and responses received) 1973 was the first year the internal 'safety beam' was put in these doors. That year car/door also used the traditional dual door pocket arrangement which would require (four) sets of internal spot-welded nut-sert captures where the front and rear door pockets as each door pocket has two hinges for a total of four. I am now the proud owner of two eBay doors that are not correct, i.e. they are at least 1973 doors with all early features of that vintage except that each only has (three) sets of two nut-sert captures rather than the four that is required. I also understand that in 1974, the door panel was changed (and possibly the door pockets?) so perhaps I have 74 up doors where the door pocket only need (three) sets of captures. This door fiasco is making me crazy. Yes, there are many (and relatively easy) ways to make the door pockets fit, but I have to believe that the correct door shell has (four) sets of nut-sert captures. If I am correct in all of this - for example - a proper 72 (and earlier) door would have (four) sets of captures to correctly mount the door pocktets, but no 'safety beam'. If the start are all aligned, someone out there just may have their 73 door panel off to confirm all of this, and if so, I would so appreciate a photo. Hope this all makes sense...I'm getting little sleep until I can sort this out and locate THE correct doors for my car.

Yes, I'm afraid you have 74 doors, 73 definitely has 4 sets of captive nuts as the door pocket style was the same from 69 thru 73. 74 doors did use only 3 sets as it was all one pocket rather than two separate ones.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed - thank you for your reply. The doors of course were sold as '73' doors, and I was not sufficiently aware at the time (another reminder of my beginner status with this elder 911's) to check this feature. Live and learn, spend money, and plod ahead. So, if I want the safety door beam with the four sets of captive nuts, I am probably now looking for needles in a haystack. If I can live without the door beams, it seems that a 69 - 72 door (which has the four sets of captive nuts) would work or is there another feature(s) that make them incompatible for my 73??? P.S. if anyone in Early S Registry land knows the whereabouts of any 73 doors for sale I will pay a stupid price.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    73 euro doors don't have the beams and correct me if Im wrong but 72 and earlier doors have 5mm screws holding the latch assembly in and they were 6mm starting in 73? Gled