Thread: So I put the key somewhere safe...

So I put the key somewhere safe...

I had one key for my 71 (which I have restored...almost). I replaced the door handles and rekeyed the locks. Now I cannot find that special place where I put the key...I will find it eventually
    For now I need to get a new key cut to match the ignition. I called my local dealer and they were pretty much helpless. I thought with my vin they could look up the original key code and cut me a new key...in fact I am pretty sure I did this years ago and they wouldn't cut the key with just me providing them with the code, they needed the vin also. Now they say that Porsche never kept track of the codes for specific vins....and in fact can only cut a 72 and later key?? The guy also told me he had no idea where the code for the ignition was located on the ignition mechanism. A I remember the three or four letter/number code was etched on the outside somewhere. As the ignition is in the car...I can probably get to it if it is accessible from underneath the dash. Can someone post a pic of where that would be on a 70-71 car's ignition. If they are uncomfortable posting the pic can they shoot me a PM and we'll exchange via email. Or if there is a way to do this using the vin, please enlighten me. Meanwhile I will keep looking for that "safe" place

Speedo
    registry# 1283

member #1515
    take a door handle off and take it to a good locksmith. He should be able to make a key.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I am to understand that early targas had two different keys for the doors/hood lock, and the ignition. However in my case, I have different door handles (non original to car) and used the ignition key to rekey the doors to my ignition key...so that unfortunately while being a good idea, won't work. I have now learned that there was a factory sticker that was attached to the housing that actuates the steering lock that has the key code for the ignition. Maybe after 42 years the sticker will still be attached? I will look tonight. I am not looking forward to the prospect of removing the ignition.
    registry# 1283

member #1515
    If you rekeyed your doors to the ignition that will work. Do you currently use the same key for your doors & ignition?
    Even if there was a key code on your lock, good luck on having PNA cut you keys. I did have my key code and they cut keys which didn't work. This isn't rocket science for a competent locksmith if he has a lock to work with.
    Targas used the same key for ignition and door locks, valet key, and the Red key was for glove compartment and trunk lock.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs