Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Orange foam heater tubes

Does anyone has a better picture of the bali blue engine compartement. For me it is hard to see any tubes in this picture.
    Up to now I haven't seen any time period orange tube pictures so far?
    But the tubes type could have been changed over the time, nothing was impossible more than 50 years back...

Claudius

Where is the left tube in this picture? One more interesting point in this picture is the white engine lid rubber stop you can see on the right side of the open lid, or it is full of Talkum powder?
    Name:  87C42AC4-CA3B-4080-ACD6-204C7EDB9DF8.jpeg
Views: 188
Size:  98.0 KB
    Last edited by 68S_SK2; 01-27-2022 at 12:53 AM.

More period pictures of the white foam tubes:
    Name:  fixed+console+pic1132533618.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  84.6 KB
    Name:  sam1236.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  91.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 68S_SK2 View Post
    Does anyone has a better picture of the bali blue engine compartement. For me it is hard to see any tubes in this picture.
    Up to now I haven't seen any time period orange tube pictures so far?
    But the tubes type could have been changed over the time, nothing was impossible more than 50 years back...

Claudius

Where is the left tube in this picture? One more interesting point in this picture is the white engine lid rubber stop you can see on the right side of the open lid, or it is full of Talkum powder?
    Name:  87C42AC4-CA3B-4080-ACD6-204C7EDB9DF8.jpeg
Views: 188
Size:  98.0 KB
    You don't see any heater vent tubes in the photo of the Bali blue '64 because I believe they are black in at least some early cars. I have a very original May '65 car with low miles which I acquired from the original owner and they are black. Just to throw another wrinkle in the color controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by 356rider View Post
    You don't see any heater vent tubes in the photo of the Bali blue '64 because I believe they are black in at least some early cars. I have a very original May '65 car with low miles which I acquired from the original owner and they are black. Just to throw another wrinkle in the color controversy.
    Chuck,

I have seen another all original early '65 car with black. That's why I jumped on the pair in the Porsche packaging that recently were offered here. Now I just need a car for them :-). My hypothesis is that the whitish ones were later. If the discolored to orange I would expect the color not to be consistent all the way through the tube which it is on the orange ones.

Joris,

Then I assume you believe your late '65 car would not have black? I'm no expert but I do not believe some of the original orange ones I've seen started off white. I see evidence of possibly at least three colors.

Period photo of an early '65 car. If the tubes were anything other than black, they would show in this photo. Joris, Good score on the black tubes. I missed those :-) .

Name:  17CEF14E-265A-43E0-868F-F1202B52AA4C.jpeg
Views: 141
Size:  133.3 KB

Chuck,

The ones I took of my car were orange. Sadly they were not good enough to re-use. I have installed a set of the Stoddard orange ones for lack of better alternative as I am not at all impressed with them especially at the price.

I am with you on the three color hypothesis

Orange/white/black??
    I think, we need more time period pictures!
    Everything else is speculative.
    Claudius

Quote Originally Posted by 356rider View Post
    Period photo of an early '65 car. If the tubes were anything other than black, they would show in this photo. Joris, Good score on the black tubes. I missed those :-) .

Name:  17CEF14E-265A-43E0-868F-F1202B52AA4C.jpeg
Views: 141
Size:  133.3 KB
    Some interesting details in that picture Chuck. Probably a TK12A10 Bosch coil with the yellow decal before the changed the part number methodology and moved to the green decals. Interesting logo on the oil filter. Large Purolator. Love the fan, wish somebody would have an idea on how to achieve that finish. Is that a blue stamp on the left side carb? Looks like still mostly/all silver zinc. Right before they started mixing yellow zinc in.

This is a higher resolution photo of the one in the '65 brochure. The blue on the carb I believe is an inspection paint mark? You can also see some faint blue on the right one. Correct, no yellow zinc. I found almost no yellow zinc on my entire car, just a couple of pieces as we've discussed before. My engine compartment is exactly like this one except this is a little before mine as you notice it has the impressions on the panel but the lid seal is still on the lid.