Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you were to sell your car privately ...

If you were to sell your car privately ...

... which of these would you attach most importance.

1. Whoever responds first with a PM, or first phone call.
    2. Whoever commits first with a non refundable deposit.
    3. Whoever outbids the other person.
    4. Whoever sounds most enthusiastic and convinces you that they are the rightful custodian
    for your cherished 4 wheeled soulmate.

Not a question of sour grapes (honest to god) but in the past I have always lost out narrowly to genuine used car salesman, flippers, hoarders, wheeler dealers and am sure enthusiasts as I have been the third or fourth in line. I have a very busy day job and have no way of accessing Esses, PCA, pelican until the evening.

In the past I have debated several times to custom build a hot rod but I was never sure what I wanted in my own build since I am new to longhoods (Its like building a dream home when you have never lived in one). So now I am after a very original car. Just trying to understand how the mind of a seller works.
    Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 08-07-2013 at 08:33 PM.

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

2 - the early bird catches the worm.

Years ago, I left home at 3:30 am for a 500 mile drive to view a car that was posted on the internet a few hours earlier.

Seller was dumbfounded when I pulled into his driveway with a trailer and cash in hand just after he finished his breakfast, but in this day and age, I think that is the only way to get a really nice and very original car without paying a fortune.

2. Hands down.

Banned
    sounds like you need a different job...

or work with a locator.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 08-08-2013 at 04:40 AM.

I'd say #2 and closely followed by #3. The key is finding that honest car. I looked for a long time, knew what the going price should be for the level of car I wanted. I narrowed my focus to a certain year and model. Once I located the one I wanted I moved swiftly, had a PPI done and closed the deal. The problem is there's a lot of cars out there that are simply over priced so don't be afraid make that reasonable offer.

Banned
    Great topic of discussion.

I think it is sour grapes for you.

Your chosen language of "genuine used car salesman, flippers, hoarders, wheeler dealers" exposes that.

What do you expect if you're third or fourth in line? The seller to feel sorry for you because you work all day? Why should third or fourth in line ever buy
    anything except underwear at Sears? Your remarks are also a veiled attack on sellers for selling to someone other than third or fourth in line.

It sounds like the cars that you keep missing are exceptional buys. Well, you're not going to want to hear this but people like you may have to spend a bit more and pay "retail". It's not the end of the world to depend on dealers, brokers, and locators. We buy products at retail because that enables us to get exactly what we want and shop at a more leisurely pace. Collectible Porsche buying is a serious, full contact sport and you are going up against buyers who are exceptional at it, are not adverse to taking risks, and have deep pockets.

Honest question: Would you commit to buying a $50k car based on nothing more than a description? In order to "get the deal" you are competing against guys who are not afraid of doing this.

But back to your original question. How do seller's think? First guy to commit with the dough gets it. Same principle that's been in effect since two or more Hebrews wanted the same item.

Dollars to doughnuts this thread disappears soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Great topic of discussion.

I think it is sour grapes for you.

Your chosen language of "genuine used car salesman, flippers, hoarders, wheeler dealers" exposes that.

What do you expect if you're third or fourth in line? The seller to feel sorry for you because you work all day? Why should third or fourth in line ever buy
    anything except underwear at Sears? Your remarks are also a veiled attack on sellers for selling to someone other than third or fourth in line.

It sounds like the cars that you keep missing are exceptional buys. Well, you're not going to want to hear this but people like you may have to spend a bit more and pay "retail". It's not the end of the world to depend on dealers, brokers, and locators. We buy products at retail because that enables us to get exactly what we want and shop at a more leisurely pace. Collectible Porsche buying is a serious, full contact sport and you are going up against buyers who are exceptional at it, are not adverse to taking risks, and have deep pockets.

Honest question: Would you commit to buying a $50k car based on nothing more than a description? In order to "get the deal" you are competing against guys who are not afraid of doing this.

But back to your original question. How do seller's think? First guy to commit with the dough gets it. Same principle that's been in effect since two or more Hebrews wanted the same item.

Dollars to doughnuts this thread disappears soon...

Couldn't agree more, very well said, frank.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622