Thread: 73 S - axle question...

73 S - axle question...

With my purchase of this car done with the engine and transaxle out, I have no idea of the integrity of the axle assemblies. My first notion was simply to replace both of them since the engine and trans will be gone through and rebuilt as necessary, but even with the small discount I get from my Porsche dealer, I am looking at $1000.00 for the pair (apparently they are not in the U.S. parts warehouse system and must come from Germany). I am looking for suggestions on how to determine if they indeed need replacing or typically just need new grease and boots..step one is to remove decades of crud, but then what??? Thank you!

$1000 for a pair???
    They are $226/ea via Pelican
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...%2520Each%2520

One thing to note is that the tins on the "new" replacement axles will have 6 holes even though the CV body itself will have 2 dowel pins and 4 bolt holes. The original style will have only 4 holes with no openings over the dowel pins. You can also buy just the CV joints themselves, but IMO it's more cost effective (and easier) to just replace the whole thing.
    I'd probably see about having them cleaned and repacked with new boots if they are in good shape.

Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Kent - thank you. Would I be wrong in assuming that the units available from Pelican are indeed NOT Porsche OEM or even OEM quality given the dramatic difference in cost? If I do decide to clean them first, what am I looking for to determine if they are indeed in 'good shape' or need replacing vicing a repack and boot job??

member #1515
    GKN Loebro is OEM to Porsche. You are just not paying Porsche markup.
    Take them apart and see what condition they're in.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs