Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: '13 Motorsport Re-Union, aka Monterey Car Week

'13 Motorsport Re-Union, aka Monterey Car Week

"Ahhh, I love the smell of vintage car racing in the morning............it smells of -- fog !"

At least it does if you're at Laguna Seca. It's that time of the year and The Historics are upon us once again. Drove to Carmel on Friday to be able to be start taking pictures as early as possible Saturday AM ( actually around 7:00 AM ) when Laguna Seca throws open it's gates, only to be greeted by a slight drizzle, low visibility, a penetrating breeze that chilled to the bone and a lamentable absence of vendors ready to serve great, steaming cups of flavorful and strong cappuccino. No problem, because as always, around 10 AM the sun started winning its eternal, daily battle with the morning fog and things finally got started.

Looking back I get the impression that last year my coverage of Re-union week was positively received and therefore propose to treat this year's Re-Union coverage pretty much in the identical manner, except for few minor changes: had to drive home yesterday evening to look after some personal business today and tomorrow morning before driving back to Carmel Monday afternoon, after spending all day Saturday at the track and taking in the Pre-Historics, ( called the Pre-Reunion these days ), and am posting some of yesterday's photos today, purely as a first course to a much more complete feast of coverage starting on Tuesday, August 20, '13 of the following events:

Tuesday, 8-13-'13 - Cars-0n-the-Avenue, the wonderful free Concours on Ocean Avenue in Carmel.

Thursday, 8-15-'13 - Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance

Friday, 8-16-'13 - AM: Legends of the Autobahn PM: Laguna Seca - track shots

Saturday 8-17'-13 - Laguna Seca, the BIG day for all classes

Sunday, 8-18-'13 - Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance

Until then, some purely random shots from the first day of the long week of some of the best vintage racing anywhere, to hopefully whet your appetite for the rest of the coverage after its all done next Sunday afternoon. The other change is that I shall try my damnedest to refrain from my usual windy, superfluous and customarily highly subjective commentary and just concentrate on posting the best pictures I am capable of taking, of the best cars, accompanied only by factual data from conversations with owners ........ when & where available.

Enjoy, and we'll talk again week after next.

JZG

Captions:

Photo 1 - the first shot of the weekend around 7:15 AM - not a lot going on.
    Photo 2 - by mid-day things got a lot brighter & cheerier
    Photo 3 - I know I said no subjective commentary.........but Geez, is this cheesy, formal, black draped entry portal for cars to the track really the message SCRAMP ( Sports Car Racing Association Monterey Peninsula - the organizing body and track owners) and the title sponsor want to telegraph to the world
    Photo 4 - detail of the almost totally original 911 Ser.# 18, the first 911 ever to win a competitive motorsports event.
    Photo 5 - details, pre-war Alfa-Romeo
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 08-30-2013 at 06:28 AM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

.........and another set of 5

Photo 1 - a very clean and well restored 356 Roadster
    Photo 2 - the nose of a Scarab sports racer
    Photo 3 - It's going to be tough to completely refrain from editorializing, especially when confronted by such a perfect demonstration of a principle I feel strongly about. Have you ever seen a neater pit area........a place for everything and everything in its place. All the essentials, nothing superfluous, no chaotic, ostentatious display of mega-dollars and a cast of dozens, just one man and his son having fun.
    Photo 4 - The 962-engined 911 Speedster seen in past Canepa C & C posts.......still for sale.
    Photo 5 - a flat-head V-8 Ford-engined hot-rod from '52, pre-dating the entire Series of Max Balchowski's "Ol' Yaller" cars
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 11-16-2013 at 02:01 PM.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

............and the third and last set of 5

Photo 1 - front-end detail of 911 Ser.# 33, the ex-Edgar Barth dealer demo car, which is now a dedicated race car in the Cal/Nev area.
    Photo 2 - details of some stiffening and strengthening work performed under the trunk lid of an early 911
    Photo 3 - an ex-Derek & Justin Bell driven 962 with all the important bits exposed
    Photo 4 - Ex-Nuvolari pre-war Alfa Grand Prix car ( Bonham's Auction )
    Photo 5 - So far the only shot I have posted for no other reason than I think the heat patina on the headers on the Gurney-Weslake V-12 in the ex-Dan Gurney driven Eagle F1 car would completely defy any attempts at describing it verbally. How else but with a specific image could you illustrate the subtlety of the discoloration and the ferocity of the gas-stream seeking to escape the confinement of the combustion chambers..........from an era when Grand Prix racing was a sport worth watching & getting involved in.

Thanks for looking,

JZG

Awesome shots John, looking forward to being there myself late next week. The silver Roadster was recently sold by Canepa and has complete SWB 911 underpinnings and engine. A major accomplishment considering a torsion tube needed to be modified and installed to get the rear suspension to fit and work.

Great pics John. I am flying in tomorrow morning from Atlanta. Can't wait for some time at Laguna Seca. Will some of the Early S crowd be gathering anywhere?
    Thanks, Tate
    1965 911 Factory Paint to Sample Orange
    1967 911S Bahama Yellow
    1968 911 S Blood Orange
    1971 911S Gold Metallic Peter Gregg
    1974 Carrera RS Blue Metallic
    1990 RUF RCT Estonia's car

I am planning to visit the Tuesday on the avenue with my Audi Sport and then Saturday and Sunday I will have my 911 at the Porsche Coralle at turn 5. Looking foreword to an outstanding car week.

My T/A Camaro will be at the Tuesday Concours (#87). Stop by.
    Alex
    Early S Reg #1809

Smile

I couldn't resist the temptation to post a few more from yesterday's Pre-Reunion visit. I don't think I'm letting any cats out of any bags, but attendance was way down all day Saturday. However, with more than 500 cars registered and accepted for next weekend, I'm positive there will be many more, and more interesting vehicles in attendance.

Don't want to monopolize the events forum with my endless photos, just sincerely hoping those who don't have a chance to be there this year will enjoy being there vicariously from the beginning through the end via some of these images…….Enjoy !!!

Captions:

Photo 1 - I have no idea why so many Corvettes are painted black, but you sure see a lot of them
    Photo 2 - since Corvette is the featured marque this year at Laguna Seca, a perfect '63 Stingray split-window Coupe in a most non-standard Red - I mean this thing was really RED - I sure don't recall GM ever offering a red like this back in the day
    Photo 3 - A fuel injected Corvette motor
    Photo 4 - as a counterpoint to the above, a Cobra 289 motor with freshly installed 40mm downdraft Webers
    Photo 5 - and yet another motor, but from about a decade earlier, and much more rare than either of the above - a 2-liter 4-cylinder DOHC Ferrari in a 500 Monza sports racer
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 12-22-2013 at 03:58 AM.

.............and another set

Captions:

Photo 1 - engine shot of the PHOTOQUELLE RSR
    Photo 2 - another photo of the same botched image posted earlier today of this Metallic Green '70 911T, which was over processed so badly, that I felt I just had to post a more believable, corrected version.......apologies for the amateurish attempt above.
    Photo 3 - don't know the car or the driver, but thought I'd put one up for the gents down under ( on the front fender.......Ron Goodman - Sydney, Australia )
    Photo 4 - detail from the Ron Gruener-built 935 from the R. Webster collection
    Photo 5 - can't post pictures from the track without including Italian cars - I personally applaud the trend of more & more Ferrari owners abandoning red in lieu of more imaginative and suitable colors for their new Ferraris.

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    .............and another set

Captions:

Photo 1 - engine shot of the PHOTOQUELLE RSR
    Photo 2 - another photo of the same botched image posted earlier today of this Metallic Green '70 911T, which was over processed so badly, that I felt I just had to post a more believable, corrected version.......apologies for the amateurish attempt above.
    Photo 3 - don't know the car or the driver, but thought I'd put one up for the gents down under ( on the front fender.......Ron Goodman - Sydney, Australia )
    Photo 4 - detail from the Ron Gruener-built 935 from the R. Webster collection
    Photo 5 - can't post pictures from the track without including Italian cars - I personally applaud the trend of more & more Ferrari owners abandoning red in lieu of more imaginative and suitable colors for their new Ferraris.
    So, the Photoquelle car finally had the fan color changed...it was only a matter of time.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687