Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Future value of 1974-1975 US Carrera's

As I said, a new generation of buyer. I can't tell you how many people in their 30's and early 40's tell me they are saving and dreaming of owning an impact bumper car as it's their favourite 911. They don't even consider a longhood. Get them while you can
    Matt Hart
    matthartcreative@instagram
    RHD 914
    1980 911SC (sold)
    69' T (sold)
    Early 911s reg # 994

Seasoned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sonett43 View Post
    Yes, but doesn't that mean that even fewer matching numbers, correct 74-75 Carreras exist today, therefore in casing values on the good ones? With every 911 I've ever bought, my brother asks 'but is it a carrera?' The only factor in his mind is the car he lusted after in his youth was an impact bumper carrera, nothing else qualifies. Obviously, he's not a discriminating buyer, but it does show the impression made back in the mid 70's about this exclusive group of cars.
    I can remember back in the IROC days there was nothing cooler than a Carrera street car in my mind. Since I'm about 51 now I still remember it fondly. Do I think it is/was a great car? Doubtful.

Of course the Turbo came out right about then which slowed the Carrera's cool factor down considerably.

The Carrera lust factor still lurks in the back of my mind somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by sonett43 View Post
    Yes, but doesn't that mean that even fewer matching numbers, correct 74-75 Carreras exist today, therefore in casing values on the good ones? With every 911 I've ever bought, my brother asks 'but is it a carrera?' The only factor in his mind is the car he lusted after in his youth was an impact bumper carrera, nothing else qualifies. Obviously, he's not a discriminating buyer, but it does show the impression made back in the mid 70's about this exclusive group of cars.
    People almost always ask "Is it a Turbo?"
    Maybe Magnus is onto something...
    S Registry#2021

Banned
    Just not there from an economic standpoint.

I recently picked up a 911 SWT in this price range. And any SWB or pre '74 LWB coupe would be a better investment than a US 2.7 Carrera in the long run. By far.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Wow, nuts is right. Nothing more than a 2.7 CIS 911S that has some superficial augmentation. Honestly, where is the intrinsic value here?

If these cars are really bringing 50+ then we are headed toward a fall. Jesus come quickly.
    Thanks, Frank. Marketing cars only. Wheels, flares and spoilers. I'd prefer a sorted '74 S if I were in that game. Since I'm not, I don't care. Just another pretty face (with no personality).

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Thanks, Frank. Marketing cars only. Wheels, flares and spoilers. I'd prefer a sorted '74 S if I were in that game. Since I'm not, I don't care. Just another pretty face (with no personality).

Tom
    I would think that a '74 Carrera would have almost precisely the same personality as the '74 S.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmiked View Post
    I would think that a '74 Carrera would have almost precisely the same personality as the '74 S.
    Thaaaat's right.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I guess I see it this way. If you want to own a Porsche coupe that came from the factory with a ducktail and flares you have three options.

Option 1: 1973 Carrera RS, 1580 made, $400,000+
    Option 2: 1974 ROW Carrera, 1036 made, $150,000+
    Option 3: 1974 US Carrera, 528 made, $50,000+

Or you could build an RS Clone which does not have any inherant collector value but will naturally bring you years of enjoyment and may keep up with depreciation simply because it is built on the bones of an appreciating asset (the car you started with). If, however you want a car that was built by Porsche then your options are limited to those three. As the first two continue to increase in value it stands to reason that the third will follow (at least for the aesthetic reasons mentioned).

The car collecting hobby is littered with these types of disconnects between performance and looks. Series 1 cars of many marques are revered for their 'purity' while later, better performing versions of the same car suffer. While it may be true these cars offer only looks and no performance over their contemporary stablemates, time and again we see that looks play as much a part in a vintage car's value as performance.

Cheers,
    -Mike

Or pick up a used Gen. 1 (Europe) or Gen. 2 (Europe and USA) 996 GT3 and never look back. Last "No-Nanny" (street) car Porsche will ever build.
    The car is one of the most magnificent beasts ever allowed out of the factory. It is more or less a street legal race car.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

This is a good time to revisit Curt's excellent white paper on the 74 Carrera. The 74 Carrera is quite unique weighing only 50lbs. more than a comparable 73. Combined with the 2.7 engine unencumbered with emissions controls gives the 74 Carrera driving dynamics very similar to a 73 E/S with just a touch of refinement- nothing like the numbness of a later SC or 3.2 Carrera. If you haven't driven a good example, you should- you will become a believer. In two years time, folks will be kicking themselves over the 50K 74 Carrera's they passed up....

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...SA-Info-Thread

I admit I'm an biased owner

Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

Early S Reg. #1694/R-Gruppe #638

74 Carrera