Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: washer insert for ignition surround with small hole

WTB: washer insert for ignition surround with small hole

This is the round, slightly dished, washer that goes onto the ignition key surround. There seems to be a large hole (~ 19mm) version and a small hole (~ 15mm) version.

I'm chasing the small ~ 15mm version - to solve this "gap" problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Ryan, I'll have a rat through my stuff from the two 68s... I definitely have one, but don't want to leave myself with the same issue. But then again, mine's only a race car
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Arise Sir Fishie, a Prince amongst men!
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Found it... Send me your address.

Any chance of a swap? I might be able to rig up something unconcours, but suitable for my car

I suggest we just swap the whole unit rather than risk damaging the washer pressing them out...
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by obrut View Post
    This is the round, slightly dished, washer that goes onto the ignition key surround. There seems to be a large hole (~ 19mm) version and a small hole (~ 15mm) version.

I'm chasing the small ~ 15mm version - to solve this "gap" problem.
    There are two versions of the washer. They are approx 15mm and approx 13mm. Not 19mm. 19mm would be a bezel without the washer like the one in your picture. The smaller one only fits locking ign switches for ROW swb 911s and 912s. The larger washer fits all the rest of the switches. US non locking switches for swb cars and all locking switches from 70 on. The problem is with the plastic part. The threads on the back are larger for the locking switches than for the non locking switches. The picture shows the difference if you look close enough. You will need to make sure that the bezels are compatible with your switch before wasting a bunch of postage and time. Your switch appears to an an aftermarket Bosch switch but has the same threads as a factory non-locking switch.

Regards

Jim

Great info as usual Jim.

I've definitely got the smaller hole (from my 68 racing car). I give Ryan a shout this morning and have a chat.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

"There are two versions of the washer. They are approx 15mm and approx 13mm. Not 19mm. 19mm would be a bezel without the washer like the one in your picture."

Jim,

Thanks for your input. Just so I'm clear, are you saying that there is a part missing in my photo - being a washer that goes under the metal part of the bezel?

I've added some extras pics of what I currently have. The switch is an aftermarket Bosch. This is for a 65 (66MY) car I recently picked up which currently has an odd aftermarket ignition that doesn't take a Bezel at all - and is flakey to use.
    Cheers, Ryan

Ryan, I think Jim is pointing out the thread size on the ignition barrel... The "bezzels" appear to have two different internal sized threads. The smaller internal thread is correct for your car, but the aftermarket ignition unit you're using takes the larger/later internal thread. So I guess you could solve this by either sourcing a correct ignition barrel or as your first post indicated; punching out the smaller hole washer from mine and putting it into yours... However your unit won't work for me at all.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

Ryan
    Your bezel looks like it is missing the black metal washer that goes over the front and covers the threads in the switch. Look at the pictures of the back of the bezels I posted and you will see the washer on one of the bezels. The other one (with the bigger hole) is missing the washer. The washer's hole in the middle is just big enough to surround the tumbler in your switch. Yes, the aftermarket Bosch switches come with a small metal bezel that is useless in a 900 series car.

Ciao

Jim

Actually Ryan's bezel is the smaller internal thread but he needs the washer with the larger (15mm) hole in the middle. Sorry for not being clear. If Ryan can find a bezel from a non locking (US delivered) car's ign switch he will be golden. The hole in the middle of the washer for early locking ign switches is much smaller in diameter.

Regards

Jim