Thread: What is the trick to mounting the through the grill fog lights ?

What is the trick to mounting the through the grill fog lights ?

I just spent the better part of several hours trying to tighten the 17 mm bolts onto my through the grill fog light. The car currently has an S front bumper installed. The only thing I can think of is that I need to remove the bumper in order to tighten the nut. Any words of wisdom are appreciated!!!

member #1515
    You need to pull the batteries to access the bolts.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Do I take the brackets off then mount the lights then remount the bracket light and horn grill all at once?

Found this from an old 2008 thread!!

Karl,

I just went through all of this (hence the restoration thread) and Michael is the pro on this stuff.

Bob is correct. That mount pictured is definately for mounting to the nose panel of a 914. While it will "work" with the needed mounting brackets it will situate the light about 1/2" to an inch higher than the 3-piece 911 mounts pictured in John's post.

I have some pictures of the change out process that I'll try to post later. Let's also comment that it's "not especially fun" to get these things on. I had my (battery box) mounts on already so I had to go back to square one to get them together with the proper 911 base mount.

The easiest way with the 3-piece 911 base mount is to remove the batteries, mount the lights (with the grills sandwiched in their proper place) to the battery box mounts and reinstall as a component (see the first picture in John's post). It's fun getting the M6 bolt through the top hole on the battery box and into the bracket!! Once installed you can put the batteries back in, screw in the grill screws and call it a day.

Here's a list of what you need:

1. Battery Brackets. (someone here made them)
    2. 911 3-piece mounts as shown in John's post.
    3. Grill template from Michael and a Dremel with the carbide cut-off wheel. (small file set to perfect the edges).

Hope that helps.

Big thanks again to the "Period Parts Whore" for the proper brackets!

Quote Originally Posted by maspirito View Post
    Do I take the brackets off then mount the lights then remount the bracket light and horn grill all at once?
    I took off the horn grills.
    Attached the bracket...grill...light together.
    Then mounted them all at the same time.
    It's tricky, but you can access the bolts without removing the battery. Good vision, and a second person help.
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what get's you."

1973 Austin Mini
    1975 911S 3.2 "the blue goose"
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2