Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convert 1976 911/81 2.7 engine to 2.7 RS spec?

Convert 1976 911/81 2.7 engine to 2.7 RS spec?

Hi,
    I have a 1976 2.7 engine and would like to put it into my 1970 T (ROW spec, so running carbs) after rebuilding it to RS spec. I know i will need to change the heat exchangers, barrels and pistons and get the heads machined to increase the inlet port size. Presumably a few other bits and bobs too. However, my question is around the induction system. I can go with carbs or MFI. The carbs are the easier and cheaper option, but if i wanted to go with MFI, would i need to make more modifications to the heads and make changes to the case to drive the pump?
    Thanks
    Paul

member #1515
    Too many bits and bobs to make financial sense. Just buy a 3.2 or a 3.6 and pop it in there.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

If you want to do RS spec that means 8.5:1 compression ratio, MFI, 2.7 liter. IMO carbs means you don't have the right to call it RS spec.

MFI is nice but pricey. I would use an EFI motor. Should make sure there aren't any big holes in the power band and no excessively rich or lean areas. And there's no replacement for displacement.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Thanks. I like to simplicity of the early engines, but a 3.2 with 231 hp is going to be a cheaper and faster option. Wiring in all the DME stuff is going to make it a more complicated conversion though. I do like the relative simplicity of carbs or MFI.

Carbs and MFI are simple in theory (well, maybe. Carbs are insanely complex if you ask me with all their band-aids to control mixture across the rev range.) but to get carbs setup you need someone who has a lot of experience in fettling and balancing them. MFI you need to make sure everything is in good shape and refurbishing throttle bodies is not an insignificant cost. Plus you need the heads, cams, oh and the MFI pump- that isn't cheap! The electric fuel pump needs upgrading for MFI as well. If you had an MFI car to start with it is easy but if you are building from a later case and need to buy everything then the EFI makes more sense.

Flieger,

What about carbs and microsquirt to control spark with a 36/1 crank wheel and sensor. That would be a best of both worlds in a way? You would still have to tune the carbs though.

I'm not familiar with microsquirt but I would be more comfortable doing megasquirt. Maybe it is because I am young or just a stickler for precise fueling. Have you checked out Al Kosmal's (x-factory) EFI setup? http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...butterfly.html

Al's EFI setup looks interesting. Thanks Max

Buy an engine AND harness.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    Too many bits and bobs to make financial sense. Just buy a 3.2 or a 3.6 and pop it in there.
    I took a look at Patrick Motorsports 3.6 coversion kit. It looks like 'buying a 3.6 and poppimg it in' is goimg to cost about USD 9.5k, which is not quite what i had in mind!