Thread: Randy Wells

Randy Wells

wrote and photographed the best speedster article I have ever seen. If you like these old cars do yourself a favor and find the new Pano for a read of this story. In a word the BEST. I have been interested in all things speedster since I was a kid. In fact have owned eight over the years including a GT. This article made me want to drive my car more than I already do. Great job Randy!!
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    wrote and photographed the best speedster article I have ever seen. If you like these old cars do yourself a favor and find the new Pano for a read of this story. In a word the BEST. I have been interested in all things speedster since I was a kid. In fact have owned eight over the years including a GT. This article made me want to drive my car more than I already do. Great job Randy!!
    I couldn't agree more. This article made me love my Porsche even more, and it made me glad I wring its neck with the POC.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Thanks very much Steve and Marco!
    Last edited by a911s; 12-09-2022 at 08:28 AM.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

I still remember the very first time I encountered Greg's Speedster, it was that compelling of a car. It's was the 1994 Santa Barabara Region Concours at Lake Sherwood CC.

Thanks Randy for filling in all the gaps in my knowledge of this honest and very significant Porsche!
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

I just read this very article on a flight. Was thinking same thing...great story and I learned some new details on Speedsters. I can't believe the car and engine are reunited.

The whole issue is very good. I don't see myself needing as much from the newsstand with the Panos being so well done.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

I agree, between the Esses, the 356 Reg and the new Pano its well covered for me.
    Last edited by steve shea; 08-21-2013 at 03:27 PM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Thumbs up

Randy’s article and photos gets to the very essence of Greg Young’s extraordinary Speedster…… He and his GT has been a fixture in the CA. Porsche community for decades……. He REALLY drives it.

Congrats to Randy and Greg.........

In the article he mentions …”and some years back we acted as the pace car for a PCA race at Willow Springs.”

I was working on the competition committee for the L.A. PCA and helped put that race on in Sept. 1998. When they asked me to come up with a quick T-Shirt design for the event Greg’s car was a natural……..

Greg did pace the big race that Sun. and he brought the field around pretty damn fast…. AND, among all the other hot Porsches taking that pace lap you still could hear that Sebring exhaust on that little Speedster over all the rest……….
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Steve,

Thanks for posting this, I had to dig pano out and read article. Randy great job, thanks!

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Randy? yeah, he's OK kind of....

Guy's got Porsche blood running thru his veins thru and thru.
    Great spokesman for the marque.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V