Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 912-6 arrived today

My 912-6 arrived today

I have been a PCA member for 35 years and have had a number of 911's over the years. Until now, the only other long hood was a '72T that my brother-in-law and I owned together as a project back in the '80's. I recently completed a body off restoration on my 1964 Corvette. My excuse for getting that car was that it was the year I graduated from high school. Upon completion of that car, my wife asked when she was going to get a '67 car, her year of graduation. She should not have said that to me!! After 45 years of marriage she should know better than to give me even the slightest excuse to buy a car!

I began searching for '67's locally on Craigslist but did not come up with anything interesting. About two weeks ago, at the bottom of the page on Bring A Trailer, I saw this photo of a white long hood car. Clicking on the photo sent me to the Houston Craigslist where a dealer had the car. I called on the car to discover that it was a '67 912 with a 3.0 SC motor and 915 tranny. The interior had been redone and the many detailed photos revealed a rust free car. He sent me a copy of the title which was dated 1994 so I knew the previous owner had owned the car for nearly 20 years at least.

I searched for the name on the title and eventually found the California owner who had owned the car for 30 years, buying it when he was 16. We have been trading e-mails. He and his father did a restoration when they bought the car replacing the floorpan and the battery box area. They took it down to bare metal. In 1994 he and his father, both mechanical engineers, did the engine swap. Since this is California we are talking about, this SC motor has all of the smog equipment including the air pump and catalytic converter, which may soon disappear. Since he was too young to have the car titled in his name, it originally was in his father's name. In 1994, he titled it in his name.

The car drives great, the engine starts like it should, it has a short shifter that works well and I am very pleased with the car. Besides the motor, the SC donor car contributed the power windows and brakes and the fog lights. I bought the fog light hole covers and will remove the fog lights to give the front end a cleaner appearance. The jury is still out on the exterior mirrors. May go back to Durants.

The car has 911S badging. I think 912-6 badging in more appropriate. To that end, I bought four used 912 emblems on Ebay and plan on making two 912-6 emblems by cutting off the "9's" on two of the emblems and turn them over to make them be "6's". We'll see how that goes.

1967 912 w/3.0 SC motor and tranny, RS door panels, stock body, power windows & brakes, and A/C.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...us)-1967-912-6

www.jerryforthofer.wordpress.com

Looks great. Maybe consider Vintage Seats for a more period pair and a proper steering wheel. Have fun.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Nice Vette!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    Looks great. Maybe consider Vintage Seats for a more period pair and a proper steering wheel. Have fun.
    Thanks.

Got one of Ramon's steering wheels delivered yesterday. I have been looking at the '70's sport seat with houndstooth as I think that would look great in a white car.
    1967 912 w/3.0 SC motor and tranny, RS door panels, stock body, power windows & brakes, and A/C.

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    Nice Vette!
    Thanks.

I had never done a full body off restoration before so it was a challenge. I posted the entire process on the Corvette Forum where the people were very helpful. Each day I would post what I had done with photos. Occasionally someone would point out an error such as putting the motor mount bolt in from the wrong direction because you would have to remove the fuel pump to pull out the bolt. I would say "Thank you" and then go make the correction. Saved me a bunch of headaches.

If anyone is interested, the thread is here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-64-coupe.html

Great car Jerry and your pictures do it much better justice (I think I recall seeing the car advertised). As a fellow 912-6 owner you've got my ringing endorsement. I also documented my conversion process here:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...troduce-myself.

Not to pry, but what was the asking?

Cheers,
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ibmiked View Post
    Great car Jerry and your pictures do it much better justice (I think I recall seeing the car advertised). As a fellow 912-6 owner you've got my ringing endorsement. I also documented my conversion process here:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...troduce-myself.

Not to pry, but what was the asking?

Cheers,
    -Mike
    You probably did see the car advertised. He had it on the Houston Craigslist and eBay. And I agree with you on the photos. It makes a big difference when you have a good camera. Because I had corresponded with the previous 30 year owner, I felt very comfortable about the car. Because the photos were just OK, the car actually looked better when I got it than I expected. For instance the wood dash was washed out in the photos but looks great in the car. Same with the seats. Not real wild about that style of seat but seats are easily changed. By the way, were you happy with the seats from Stefan?

You did great work on that car. I plan on traveling a similar route to your thread above. In my case, the hard work has already been completed. But I will have plenty to do to get it where I want it.

Let's not forget who the car is for! I would not suggest changing the seats to classic style because your wife might not be comfortable in them. Along the same vein, I would not change the mirrors. Yes, dual Durants will look better (and I have those on my '73 as well). But they really don't work very well compared to the nice large flags that the car has. Despite countless attempts, my wife simply can't get to the idea that the mirrors are to be adjusted to the *spot* where they will know a car is there or not. And of course the right one is nearly useless, except to look good.

So, for this car, keep you wife happy, not you.

Looks like the car is really well sorted (power windows!) and tidily done. Go slow on the changes. The Nardi wheel looks great. The mirrors -- as Jay says -- are utilitarian. As a compromise, you might consider the '74/75 mirrors instead. Visibility will be as good or better and they are "Porsche" albeit anachronistic. Even the sunroof deflector was updated to the simpler, later style. Someone invested a lot of time on this car. It's your car, not the community's. It's already a hot rod, so you have a 'get out of jail, free' card to make it what you want. Get a lot of seat time and then decide on changes.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Wow! Beautiful 912/6 Looks perfect as is...