Thread: Caliper identification

Caliper identification

Found three pairs of calipers whilst sorting through a batch of parts I bought, I think there is a pair of early standard rears but after that I am struggling to pin down exact fitment/period although I think we may be talking late '70's?; if any of our brake experts could enlighten me I would be very grateful (I have plenty of other photos if these don't give the required view to give a definitive answer):
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

First pair look like std 65-68 non-vented rears, type L; I see a hint that they may have spacers , and if so are 67/68 911S rears
    Second pair look like 69 and up rears; cannot tell if they have spacers for vented rotors, Type M
    Third pair are type A front calipers
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

What Dave said.

L-Calipers are pretty rough. A LOT of pitting on the top of that right side caliper
    Rear M-Calipers - If there's a 10mm spacer they are for vented rotors 70 on up (or 69 911S), otherwise they are 69 911 regular or 76 912E calipers.
    Last is a later A-Caliper with the single fluid inlet casting on the back. Early sets (74-77 cars) seem to have 3 fluid inlet castings but only the bottom is drilled for the 911 application. If they have 7mm spacers, they are SC calipers and if they have 11mm spacers... Carrera.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Dave/Eric, appreciate you taking the time to post answers.

Thank you.

Regards
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Neunelfer View Post
    What Dave said.

L-Calipers are pretty rough. A LOT of pitting on the top of that right side caliper
    Rear M-Calipers - If there's a 10mm spacer they are for vented rotors 70 on up (or 69 911S), otherwise they are 69 911 regular or 76 912E calipers.
    Last is a later A-Caliper with the single fluid inlet casting on the back. Early sets (74-77 cars) seem to have 3 fluid inlet castings but only the bottom is drilled for the 911 application. If they have 7mm spacers, they are SC calipers and if they have 11mm spacers... Carrera.
    And if they have no spacers, they are Alfa calipers...................

JB Strikes again!
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    Love Us On Facebook

Eric/Dave

Following on from your posts I have had another look at them to check spacer sizes and can confirm:
    Set 1 - 65-68 non vented rears, in pretty rough condition
    Set 2 - 10mm spacer so 69S and >70 rear M's
    Set 3 - 11mm spacer so Carrera front A's

If you have any idea on values would appreciate if you could drop me a PM.

Thanks again for your help.
    Tim

Hi Tim,

I hate to say it but, the values are almost in the order of "whatever someone is willing to pay" for them. All of the calipers listed were made in the hundreds of thousands. I'll throw out some "core" values, which is what they would be worth to us as a restorer. That means you could probably sell them outright for more money.

L-Calipers - $0.00 To far gone to be of value other than scrap at this point. That said; we have rescued a pair of Wide L-Calipers for a customer in the UK recently. Internally they will probably be fine but the pitting would preclude any sale on those (IMO).

Rear M-Calipers - $50-60 for the pair. That casting is on every 911 from 1970 through 1983 so again, these are very common and prevalent in the market.

Wide A-Calipers - $40 for the pair. These are your average European "Sedan Caliper Du Jour". They are on everything from BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Alfas, and of course Porsche. They are the very heaviest caliper ever put on a Porsche weighing in at 9lb. 6oz. For "this" crowd I see them as a further negative as they come paired with an (unneeded) 24mm rotor which adds rotating mass as unsprung weight. Anything that anybody needs to do here, with these lightweight cars, can be done on a 20mm rotor.

Hope that helps.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    Love Us On Facebook

That is just what I wanted Eric, many thanks; had them down as door stops but thought I had better just check!

Thanks again
    Tim