Thread: Converting back to SWB

Converting back to SWB

Hi,
    I have a 68S chassis that as been converted to LWB.
    Aparently, the torque tube has been changed and aluminum bananas installed.

How hard will be to convert it back to SWB, apart from changing the rear flares?
    Which parts will be needed?

You will need to change the position of the trailing arm brackets on the torsion bar tube.

The tube itself would have little effect and we converted an SC to SWB about 2 years ago and only changed the brackets.

You could either fabricate new brackets or try to find a tube from an SWB car.

I have seen a number of cars that have had this change and need two sets of brackets so I may be interested in fabricating some parts.

Making a simple bolt on jig to locate them correctly would be quite straightforward (unless you have access to a Celette).

Clearly you will need a pair of trailing arms and the relevant body panels.

Thanks Chris for the information.

When reading your post, something came to my mind...
    I remember seeing somewhere here a thread about cutting the rear steel arms from F series to install it on a SWB chassis, taking advantage of the bigger brakes and bigger bearings... I beleive you participated on this thread, saying you have been building some of those (cut and weld) ??
    On my case (having a latter torsion tube already installed), I wouldn't have to install new brackets on the torsion tube but just install the short arms, right?

No not really, the problem is due to the position of the bracket with respect to the track of the car.

When you shorten the arm the hub effectively moves inwards and so the bracket has to move out to compensate.

The alignment of the pivot and spring plate also need to be considered to keep the geometry correct from full bump to full droop.

The arms that we shorten maintain the correct SWB geometry from full bump to full droop and do need an SWB Bracket location.

If you leave the LWB bracket in place the geometry would be a real mess.

Do you fabricate this brackets or have any SWB tube in stock?

I have access to a Celete but the body shop guy always says he doesn't have any file with SWB measures... So, most of the work I have done on the other SWB chassis has been the old style way with the help of factory schematics...

I have a full set of SWB Celette Brackets and also a set of Uni-Brackets for a Celette Jig so I could easily let you have measurements.

I have to make some brackets later in the year as I don't have any Tubes.

I an make an extra set of brackets but I won't have time for a few weeks.

We already make the Brackets to extend the LWB mountings for RSR style arms and quite a few other parts of this type so I am confident we can make them correctly.

Ok, no rush.
    I have 3 cars to finish before I start this one.
    I will contact you by latter by e-mail.