Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Couple questions about a 1966 911

Couple questions about a 1966 911

Looking at possibly purchasing a 66' 911 that has been sitting, not running for the last 15 years or so in a garage. I've been told by the owner (last 35 years) that the rusted floor pans were replaced early on in her ownership. The car has been garaged in SoCal since she bought it. The car looks like it needs a complete restoration. Other than the floor pans, where should I be looking for rust? Also, it has alloys on it. How do I know if they are original to the car. Thanks

I can answer one part of your question very quickly, alloy wheels didn't start until the 67S, so we know those aren't original.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thank you Ed

I'd look at the metal below the rear package shelf under the back glass for rust. Related...check the engine bay sound pad below the rear shelf as well. I'd also check the front suspension support.

Check the VIN to get the real year. I've seen many 65s and a 64 (300025 sob) registered as a 66.

1966 911

This might help your serial number research, it's a year by year chart
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    I'd look at the metal below the rear package shelf under the back glass for rust. Related...check the engine bay sound pad below the rear shelf as well. I'd also check the front suspension support.
    ^^^

More on the rear shelf:

What I usually do for a quick screening test when there's a sound pad in place is open the engine lid and press upward on the sheet metal on either sides of the lid hinge area. If its bad -- a more and more common situation -- it will be crunchy like cornflakes.

Rust in this area originates with rear window seal failure and the area affected goes from the rear shelf down to the rear seat buckets. As it progresses, the rust goes along the inner sheetmetal to the outer skin at the window corners and then along into the drip rails. Each additional affected area is more $$$ to fix.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Thanks for the advise all. I looked at this car a couple years ago and passed on it. It has never been advertised for sale, it just happens to be owned by the mother of a former co-worker. She tells me that she just stopped driving it because she needed a bigger car. It's been repainted black (originally yellow) and is in rough shape. The passenger side of the car has been used as her husbands cars door stop for all these years so you can only imagine what it looks like. I also need to check and see if mice have been living in it. What areas are the worst for mice, the glove box?
    Last edited by Bradford; 09-13-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Mice love wiring, look for signs of their dining on the wiring harnesses.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Got the VIN. Car is definitely a 66'. Do I need a COA to determine what the correct engine # should be?