Thread: Steering wheel lock removal

Steering wheel lock removal

I`m trying to remove a steering wheel lock mechanism from a 66 911 Euro. Reason is, because I cannot key the unlock/lock feature. Is it possible to remove this without it being in the un-lock position? It seems to be hung up at the steering wheel shaft only!...Thanks,Cliff

Cliff, (don't take this wrong but) is the key in the ignition and turned to the "on" position and did you try to move the steering wheel both left and right? The locking end is a pin that fits into a opening, just Like a dead bolt. The only thing that typically holds it from retracting is side friction/bind to the steering shaft hole.

If the extended pin end and the steering hole are in tension the key may balk to being turned, wiggle the steering wheel.

If that doesn't release it - I'm stumped.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Thanks,Bob The key is out,so i presume it is locked.Too, the steering wheel is about a 1/4 turn to the right (wheel orientation) & will move right & left about a 1/8 turn in this location. I`m kinda thinking that in the locked position the pin is extended far enough to not allow the lock system to move to the left far enough to clear the steering dead bolt location! I sprayed some Blaster in the column area last night to see if it would free-up any..
    As of now, it hangs in there like a loose tooth that resist pulling!! (Key does not work) it used to though
    Last edited by Cliff; 09-01-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Locking steering removal

Mission accomplished..The problem was the shroud around the area where the dead bolt enters the column. It was digging into the housing on the locking ignition (forward, top & bottom)..I could not move the key portion of the lock forward enough to clear the ignition switch hole on the dash & then move the assembly to the left for removal! So, I improvised & used a wooden stake/& hammer to sink the switch assembly forward enough to clear the dash and then was able to wiggle the switch assembly away from the column.
    Bob nailed it with the friction /binding @ the steering shaft hole/shroud...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Cliff; 09-02-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Having similar issue removing the ignition lock on '73T. Removed the two break away fasteners with dremel and screwdriver. Does the allen head fastener with locknut under steering shaft have to be loosened or removed? Difficult to access. And how is the knee pad removed?

Thanks

member #1515
    you have to loosen the allen head. I'll defer to others, but the knee pad should be held in by push in type clips. Have you removed the plug at the back too?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Allen head removed and electrical connections unplugged. Assembly is loose but won't slide far enough forward to clear dash.

Tom

Success. Removed rivets and drove switch forward. Thanks