Thread: Fuel additives

Fuel additives

Ok new to this rusty car ownership. I understand enthonol is bad but what should I add to uk unleaded? Do I actually need to do anything? It's for a 69t

Ethanol in fuel is not ideal for our cars. At the very least, it destroys fuel lines quickly which results in frequent and dangerous leaks. I've been adding 2 oz. of StarTron Enzyme Fuel Treatment every time I fill the tank, and I'm very pleased with the results. The engine starts easier, and idles and runs much smoother now. Adding this product is also claimed to improve mileage. It's available at several on-line sites.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Startron seems to have improved the warm up cycle in my 69E.

Previously it was very "cold blooded" and would spit and pop until it reached operating temp. I typically wiill also add add an appropriate amount of Chevron's Techron as well.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

i suspect that the fuel formulas vary from one country to another - so what works here may not be suitable in the UK
    however for my 73E (and for many other cars here in Australia) 95 RON or 98 RON (which i use) octane fuel straight out of the pump works well.
    I also only use a couple of brands (and stay with 98 if possible) as i have been told in the past by a "fuel expert" that the higher octane SHELL fuel in Australia has too much "clay" in it as it is designed to clean modern engines and our old engines (and the MFI) dont like it at all (asking for an involuntary MFI system rebuild if you use it consistently)

the standard fuel here is 91RON and while a low compression 1973 car can run on it OK some earlier high compression ones cant
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Ok so in the UK we go as low as 95 and up to 99 as standard. will leave alone no need to do anything....that's what I like to hear!!

Ethanol is a type of alcohol. Alcohol is a great fuel for eternal combustion engines, if they are jetted for it. Alcohol will make an engine run lean that is jetted for just gasoline. The jets,cam whatever you have has to be adjusted to the fuel mixture you are running.
    As stated earlier alcohol will damage some rubbers and sense it attracts moisture it will cause corrosion easier. Bosch makes new CIS injectors that have Bronze bodies etc. to avoid the corrosion and new fuel line is compatible with alcohol.
    So if you 'jet ' your engine to run on the fuel you have available it will start and run fine with out any additives. I feel using fuel additives to mask over improper jetting is a band-aid fix and would not suggest it for a long term solution.

Very interesting trend here... looks promising:
    http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/stor...sdw4pbZWQ.cspx
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    Very interesting trend here... looks promising:
    http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/stor...sdw4pbZWQ.cspx
    Ethanol free fuel has begun to pop up at some SOFL stations too, however, premium is priced $.50/gal higher than premium with ethanol. It's more cost effective for me to pump the ethanol blended premium and add the StarTron.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"