Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stoddard front pan fixture

Stoddard front pan fixture

We bought a front pan jig/fixture from Stoddards and after the first front pan done with it I'd like to report that I thought it worked very well. Saved me from having to measure umpteen times as I used to do. I realize it's not a Celette bench, but after all we are a mechanical shop not a body shop. I just do the front pans because no one I know around here will do them the way I like. I always have to cut in a new longitudinal, also notice the reinforcement piece welded in over the front A-arm attachment inserts (very important) Where ever the pan was spot welded I do the same. Once it's undercoated it shouldn't be evident a pan was done.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Egad that spotwelder is right out of Stuttgart! Mechanical shop only indeed!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Ed, I'll help you pay for that tool. I'll rent it from you! Really.
    72S, 72T now ST

And the reason you see a new front bulkhead here is from the previous poor front pan replacement. He didn't bother to drill out spot welds, just RIPPED the metal away then covered it all up with FIBERGLASS mat and real thick undercoating,,,,,that was a real "flat rate" job,,,,,in case you wonder why some people charge more.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Shipping that thing back and forth could be a killer Scott!
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    how do you feel about this vs using a celette for the job?
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Hi, Porsche them selves would not use the Celette Jig to do that job alone. They made a factory tool for it, basically what has been replicated here. Here is an original unit.

HTH

Alan

Well Kris I was going to answer that this fixture can't be as good as the Celette, but Alan's answer above is very interesting!
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed, it's always great to see the master at work! Inspiration for sure.

I'm using Stoddard's tool right now too. On my car the adjoining metal to the pan is rotted out. So, for me, another great thing about the tool is holding the pan in place so I can form the missing metal and flange to which the pan secures.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Bill I tried once to form the longitudinal edges and quit. To me it is always easier to simply buy new longitudinals and butt weld them in, then everything fits as it should. I realize that adds to the cost but I decided I can't make those pieces to fit as well as the correct piece.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.