Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas tank rust cleaning and coating?

Gas tank rust cleaning and coating?

I am trying to save my OEM gas tank but it really has a lots of rust flakes coming out after lots of cleaning cycles. Is there any recomendation on a good cleaning product or coating that I could apply to guaranty there will not be any issues with it in a long term?

Thank You.

Avoid all coatings. They just don't seem to work with our newly formulated gasoline. I'm not the only one to have this problem. I had my tank coated back in the days when we could buy real gasoline. Now I have to clean the jets every few months. The coating is breaking down and is able to actually get through the filter.

In the old days any radiator shop would clean your tank. I'm not even sure if we have any radiator shops left in the United States.

I would suggest just buying a new tank. Save the old one for the next owner who wants everything original.

Richard Newton
    My Facebook Page

Even here in California we still have many radiator shops and they have coatings resistant and compatible with ethanol. Both Eastwood and POR 15 have ethanol resistant DIY kits. Yes, older coatings were not resistant. Just like the whole zinc/oil thing..It's "progress" and one has to pay attention.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

A friend down here recommended this one:

http://www.redkote.com/products/

Has anyone try it? Is it good or any advice in another product?

Thanks,

I used the POR 15 kit with marine clean 3 years ago and have no problems. There's discussion over on the Registry that may help. I like the gravel idea for rust removal.

http://porsche356registry.org/356tal...tml?hilit=tank

Regards, Mike.

I've used the Redkote in my tank, as I was told it's the best for our modern fuels, still putting it all back together, so can't comment on longevity.

I used a small piece of chain, that way when I pulled it out I knew it was all out.
    Tony

While coating may work for early cars, if you have a cis tank, do not coat it. It will not stick to the plastic whirl pot, and will cause problems down the road.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Redkote works but I have the local shops do it. Too cheap not to. $125.00 to boil and coat, plan on doing your own finish to,
    the outside though. They will not do a good job so tell them to leave it bare metal or you will end up having to strip paint.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

229 MPH 3.0 MFI 911
    I have used the POR 15 system on carb and mfi tanks with excellent results. Sourced from Eastwood. Two years on the road. One daily driver and the other gets out every few weeks.

I was considering trying to save the tank in my 71, but for the cost of a new tank from RD is it worth all the trouble and risk?

I salvaged a tank on my 64 Corvette, but that was only because the GM guys are so numbers matching and "original" crazy.