Thread: 31mm TB in a 71 hot rod with a 3.2

31mm TB in a 71 hot rod with a 3.2

Are 31mm hollow sanders bars too harsh with custom valved bilsteins for a 71 911 T with a 3.2L efi and 915? I am contemplating using these in my hot rod project. Chuck at ER is indicating 29mm, but I am looking at this as a budget thing.

Listen to Chuck! I have 21mm front 28mm rear and it's just right. -Scott
    72S, 72T now ST

I have a set of 31mm hollow tarett bars I'll make you a screaming deal on. just about 0 miles of use, they were taken out and swapped to coil overs.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

You don't state the weight (or rear weights at least). That is a very important parameter to determine proper spring rates. I have 22/29 solid with the car weighing 2000 pounds without a driver. Feels great to me. I wouldn't even mind stiffer. But ride is one of the most subjective car characteristics out there. Being 23, a lot of stuff in my car that I find comfortable is torture for older guys.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

It's currently a stock 71 911t right now, but will be equipped as a hot rod for hill country driving and DE service. I am not sure of the weight. What does a stock 911t weigh? 2350lbs?

It will have a 3.2L, most likely 993 HE's and M&K exhaust. Either 15x7 fuchs or 15x7 cookie cutters. No back seat. All a/c stuff will be removed. It will have RS carpet, Recaro's, stereo, RS door panels, I haven't decided on a roll bar or not. I haven't decided to go fg hood or keep with the steel hood. I will ad an front oil cooler and braided lines and tstat. It will have an fg duck tail most likely, as I have one already. I will add carrera brakes, rear trailing arms, front crossmember, and aftermarket sway bars.

For the most part that will be it. I want to keep it simple and relatively light. These cars are so light to begin anyway. I may go carbs, which may save a little weight, but not much. I'm not going for light car since I will have a 3.2 with eventually hot cams and if EFI a SW chip. I don't think power will be an issue. I thought of going with the 901 if I take it easy in 1st gear that would save some weight, particularly on the rear.

Then of course me at 215#.

Sounds like 31mm will be too much for street duty.

So, sounds like 31mm will be too much. I may have to put them on my 930 and go for some 29mm rears.

Mine weighs about 2300 lbs right now.
    When I was really serious into auto-x and track, I used 23/31mm.
    Quite stiff.

I have detuned down to 21/27mm and it is still worthy for auto-x and track....but much more comfortable for highway/around town driving.
    Mine has a big 3.6 pushing it, and this setup still has no trouble coping with the hp/tq that the engine puts down.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Good to know Doug. Thanks. Will start work on the car hopefully next month and I will need to buy tb's. I believe I already have the front. I wish I had kept my 29mm bars that I just sold... It always works like that. The bars sat there for 2 years, I sell them, then I need them...