Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Fuel Hoses Running From Tank. 67S

Replacing Fuel Hoses Running From Tank. 67S

I've been putting off replacing the fuel hoses from the tank on my 67S. Today, I took a look at the hoses and have come to the conclusion that I can't get to the hoses without removing the steering rack. My hands just can't get there. My questions are 1. Can the steering rack be removed without first removing the front suspension? and 2. After reading so many articles on inferior fuel hose for modern day fuels, I would appreciate any recommendations on the best hose to use.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

I've never removed the rack to do the hose, or hoses if you still have the gas heater. I use the normal Cohline 7.5mm braided O.E.M. hose. I do try to run Sta-Bil in the tank every so often. Yes, I have seen those hoses "go soft" occasionally, hoping the additive will forestall that. What ever you use I'd suggest metric sized hose, SAE 5/16th" doesn't fit as well in my opinion.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I wrestled with this as well. What a PIA! Might have been easier with the car on a lift. Doing it on your back didn't make it any easier.

Thanks for the reply's. Edmayo, where do you find the 7.5 mm Cohline hose?

Thanks,

Bob

Well we used to get it from Wurth, but they seem to have dropped it, so now we get it from another vendor, World Pac i believe. It also helps when you have some of the special long reach pliars that I do for gripping the hose.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

A note about the hose:

The original hose is labeled like this: COHLINE 251.0600 22 7.5x12.5 >NBR< - 25/98 DIN 73379 8

That is the 251.0600 series hose, 7.5mm ID, 12.5mm OD. Nitrile Butyl Rubber conforming to DIN. If you phone Cohline, they will tell you that this series hose is rated for up to 10% ethanol.

Here's the rub(ber). (sorry couldn't resist) Being rubber, the fuel hose has plasticizers in it that dry out over time, making the hose brittle. Also contributing to this is the action of ETHANOL. It's bad enough when this stuff eats our carburetor gaskets; and entirely worse thing when it slowly eats our fuel hoses. This does not happen instantaneously, thankfully, but it's enough of an issue with today's reformulated Panther Pee sold to unsuspecting motorists as gasoline that the Fuel Hoses are now on the regular preventive maintenance list.

Where I'm going with this discussion is this: If I were going under the skidplate to replace the hose between the tunnel hardline and the in-tank filter, I would use modern Cohline 2240.0600, which is rated for E85, called a "barrier" hose. This prevents the permeability of the rubber that rots the hose over time.

Also, you want to use the correct clamps for this application, the band-type Norma- Gemi are good ones. (Norma-Schellen were original to the car) I don't really like the American-style Ideal clamps as I think they tear the outer covering of the hose, but many say they are fine.

As Ed says, nothing needs to be removed, you just need the following:

1) Good jack stands;
    2) Plenty of light so you can see what you are doing; and
    3) Good jack stands.

Good luck!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I use long reach needle-nose pliers, ones that angle slightly at the end to reach up and help remove/install the hose. To remove fuel from tank move car outside and siphon as much as you can thru fill. To get the rest, jack up front of car slightly, disconnect battery, remove hose from outlet side of electric pump, fit long hose to drain into 5 gal can, wire pump from constant 12v lug on block at elec panel, and reconnect the battery until pump runs dry.

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    A note about the hose:

The original hose is labeled like this: COHLINE 251.0600 22 7.5x12.5 >NBR< - 25/98 DIN 73379 8

That is the 251.0600 series hose, 7.5mm ID, 12.5mm OD. Nitrile Butyl Rubber conforming to DIN. If you phone Cohline, they will tell you that this series hose is rated for up to 10% ethanol.

Here's the rub(ber). (sorry couldn't resist) Being rubber, the fuel hose has plasticizers in it that dry out over time, making the hose brittle. Also contributing to this is the action of ETHANOL. It's bad enough when this stuff eats our carburetor gaskets; and entirely worse thing when it slowly eats our fuel hoses. This does not happen instantaneously, thankfully, but it's enough of an issue with today's reformulated Panther Pee sold to unsuspecting motorists as gasoline that the Fuel Hoses are now on the regular preventive maintenance list.

Where I'm going with this discussion is this: If I were going under the skidplate to replace the hose between the tunnel hardline and the in-tank filter, I would use modern Cohline 2240.0600, which is rated for E85, called a "barrier" hose. This prevents the permeability of the rubber that rots the hose over time.

Also, you want to use the correct clamps for this application, the band-type Norma- Gemi are good ones. (Norma-Schellen were original to the car) I don't really like the American-style Ideal clamps as I think they tear the outer covering of the hose, but many say they are fine.

As Ed says, nothing needs to be removed, you just need the following:

1) Good jack stands;
    2) Plenty of light so you can see what you are doing; and
    3) Good jack stands.

Good luck!
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

[QUOTE=304065;674608]A note about the hose:

..I would use modern Cohline 2240.0600, which is rated for E85, called a "barrier" hose. This prevents the permeability of the rubber that rots the hose over time.

Also, you want to use the correct clamps for this application, the band-type Norma- Gemi are good ones. (Norma-Schellen were original to the car) [QUOTE]

Great infoo, as usual.

So, where can this hose be purchased? Thanks
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Thanks guys for all the info. I was able to find that type hose at Pelican. I think it was listed under the Mercedes section. Also found some long nose pliers designed to grip smaller sized hoses. After I get some tools together and some hose, I'm goin in.

Lot of years and models there. Would you share a part number?
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"