Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Price of a LWB "Driver?"

Realistic Price of a LWB "Driver?"

I know pricing threads are always beat to death but it seems the market on early 911's is headed through the roof at a ridiculous pace these days. With that, after looking on line and through various buying guides it seems difficult to really pin down what a realistic price of a nice clean LWB driver really is. I've seen beautifully restored examples starting around $65k and beyond pretty consistently (obviously based on model and options) and project cars around $20k (that are normally in complete or complete basket cases) but drivers are harder to pin point. I'm thinking, and may have read, this is due to very few drivers ever seeming to be for sale. I know tons of things dictate the pricing but on average I wonder what one would expect to pay for a clean matching numbers driver in mostly original cosmetic and good mechanical condition. The kind if car you can just jump in and drive with no worries although there are issues like a small amount of rust, oil leaks or imperfect paint etc.

Any thoughts from those in the know or those that sell early 911's? I know it's a broad question but I'm curious what the answer is.

Stretch

What particular model are you looking for?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

You are right, so why another one ?
    Mike

I was really wondering about all of them; T, E and S models. I have a '71T that fits the above description but I didn't pay very much for it so I don't know what it's really worth. I'm just curious where the price point for a clean driver is right now since most for sale are high end or projects. I'm not looking to sell or buy just researching.

Stretch

member #1515
    Hagerty has a pricing tool on their website, I think they use actual sale prices to estimate values of excellent, driver and restore only cars.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

'73 911T, MFI . . . $25k

. . . 1973 911T Targa. VERY SOLID. This is as project as the engine is out. MATCHING NUMBERS. Original color is Sepia Brown, currently painted red and could use a fresh paint job. Interior is brown. The seats are tired and there are cracks in the dash. 15" Fuchs in great condition. Floor is solid, front suspension pan and battery boxes are rust free as are the doors and rear seat buckets. Has Weber carbs . . .

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...t/1593926.html

(Not mine)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LongRanger; 09-19-2013 at 03:31 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

'70 911T . . . $32k

VIN = 9110120244
    Eng# = 6105203
    Trans# = ?

. . . This 1970 Porsche 911 T is in Dark Grey Metallic with Black.

1970 saw the 911 T line carry engines enlarged to 2.2 ltrs and made ventilated disc brakes standard.

This car was sold new by Continental Motors in Portland, Oregon on May 5th, 1970.

This is a matching numbers car.
    Engine # 6105203

The original service booklet (stamped) and manual are with the car.

Features include:
    - Koni Struts
    - Aluminum 911S calipers
    - Rear seat belts
    - Rear defroster
    - 14" Fuch wheels

Good syncros' and gearbox. Clutch is sound.
    Engine is strong. Great sound. Typical smoke on cold start up. Original Zenith carburetors (recently rebuilt.)

No visible evidence of any accidents with the exception of some work on the inner right fender at some point. Straight body and good gaps. Battery box repaired at some point as well. Tracks straight.

Original color code 8080 (Silver Metallic), this car was resprayed in Dark Grey Metallic.

No visable rust on the underside. An “S” style front bumper.
    Shocks are good.

Sigla front windshield new but all other glass original and in good condition.

Bright trim shows nice with some patina, complete and very acceptable. Original headliner which is weak in some areas.

All gauges work as designed. Period Radio.

Sun visors in good condition, Leatherette seat covers very presentable, door pockets complete. Glove box fits well with good original liner.

Prior owner recently performed:

- oil service, valve adjustment, new spark plugs and tune
    - rebuilt brake calipers all around, new brake lines, pads and master cylinder (Brakes function as-new and with no pulling)
    - alternator rebuilt, new battery installed and points cleaned and set
    - fuel tank flushed including new filter screens with new fuel lines installed front and rear, rebuilt fuel pump and new fuel filter

Tires are flat spotted and should be replaced.

Correct original 2.2 ltr drive train and largely original interior are something you don't see everyday. A 911 you can drive or collect.

Dated coded original steel wheel 15 x 5.5, jack, partial tool kit and original manuals will be presented to the new owner . . .

http://www.mohrimports.com/view_inve...php?car_id=548

(Not mine)
    Attached Images Attached Images      

We Can Be Heroes

I am contemplating selling a driver, since my go-to paint and body resource has become unreliable. It's a 73.5 T with Webers substituted for CIS. Gemini Blue non-sunroof coupe now painted white (10-footer). No rust in chassis, small spot in left fender. Left door gaps show prior adventures, but tub does not. Runs and drives. CoA shows engine/chassis match. I'd let it go for $25K.

To the PO's question: good cosmetics as you describe brings it from "driver" to "nice driver." And the distinction is a 5-figure distinction, in my mind.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    . . . good cosmetics as you describe brings it from "driver" to "nice driver." And the distinction is a 5-figure distinction, in my mind . . .
    Hear-hear!

We Can Be Heroes

"S"

Driver $90-125k / top flight cars $150-190

or so the adverts want you to believe
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser