Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with 69S original paint car

What to do with 69S original paint car

I recently acquired an original paint 69S. Car is 100% original with some neat options per the kardex. Paint is oxidized but at least 90% original. Curious to know how one determines whether or not to save the paint. Should I try color sanding a fender to see how it looks and then re-evaluate? Car appears to be rust free and has its original floors. I am currently having motor and gearbox re-built. Color is black with black leather seats and courderoy inserts in excellent condition. Only the dash top needs restoration as it has cracked in the usual place near speaker insert. I am intrigued with the idea of trying to maintain a preservation class candidate but do not know what requirements are. Any advise greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Frank

SEEK PROFESSIONAL GUIDANCE........DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITHOUT EDUCATING YOURSELF FIRST. after all it is a 69 S.Here is a good start & there are others http://flatsixes.com/advise/conc & this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-WZgWbIHQM
    Last edited by Cliff; 09-22-2013 at 03:34 PM.

I would agree with the other gentleman, seek some professional opinions on salvaging the paint. I feel too many cars have been repainted when possibly all they needed was some professional attention. I applaud you for having the foresight to consider this most people would not even think of it. Good luck in your quest.

It's only original once, replacing the dash, primping otherwise takes away the originality, embrace the "flaws"
    If the car was your wife what would do......
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

I Agree with this point of view (and the others). I have grown to look past many of the imperfections after I got to know my car better. Spend time with it and your perspective may change.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    It's only original once, replacing the dash, primping otherwise takes away the originality, embrace the "flaws"
    If the car was your wife what would do......
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Great advice here. Save the paint by consulting with the very best preservation expert you can find. Don't replace any of the trim or interior if you can help it. Keep everything you do take off the car.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

search Barn Porsche 912-/DRIVE CLEAN www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Mz6YNb4uA
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

If it's dirty? --- clean it!
    If it's broken? --- repair it!
    If it's missing? --- find it!

Only if it's utterly ruined . . . restore it

Everything else . . . is just everything else

We Can Be Heroes

There are some very good paint restoration experts out there. Take full advantage of them before trying anything.

What? No pictures?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100