Thread: 68S Engine Price Advice

68S Engine Price Advice

Hi All

I'm currently building a '68 competition 911 for historic events over here in Australia. I was lucky enough to pick up some very nice bits and pieces to use, primarily a rust -free US delivered SWB 911L with matching numbered engine and gearbox (containing a 904 ZF LSD) and Nadella reinforced drive shafts. I also aquired a complete 68S engine (4081144) and gearbox (also has a 904 ZF LSD). My initial thoughts were to simply put the S engine into the car for the extra 20hp.

In reassessing my build I'm wondering if the engine may be better offered up to the market with the proceeds used to build the matching L engine to S specs (which is permitted in the racing class). I suspect there is a 68S chassis or two missing a correct engine? I guess this segways int a "What's it worth?" question...

68S engine complete from webers to exhaust, was pulled running from the (incorrect) donor chassis. Cosmetically ugly with the red shroud painted black, and oil leaks throughout - presume a rebuild needed. What is a reasonable price ask for such an engine?

To be clear, it is currently not for sale and I do intend to use it - but if it's better served helping out someone in the community with restoration (rather than my race car plan) or perchance the original chassis is known, then I'd certainly re-assess by own build plans.

Thanks for advice and opinions...
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Why not have a spare engine? Never a bad thing from a racing perspective, and that way one can be in the car and the other on the stand for maintenance rebuilds. If you were in USA where such things were (relatively) easily sourced (if, for example, you blow the engine during a race and need another one for racing the next day) I would have different advice.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Why not have a spare engine? Never a bad thing from a racing perspective, and that way one can be in the car and the other on the stand for maintenance rebuilds. If you were in USA where such things were (relatively) easily sourced (if, for example, you blow the engine during a race and need another one for racing the next day) I would have different advice.
    Indeed that was my thought also, but I have another 2.0 t engine and gearbox available as a back up.

The idea in my head is that if the 68S engine has real value, then I'd use the proceeds of the sale to rebuild the L engine as a primary to S specs (can use JP/Nickies/DC cams etc...) and still probably have spare change to put into the car elsewhere. If I throw a rod through a L/T case, I won't feel so bad as ruining the S case if you know what I mean? I was hoping there would be a deafening "Yes!" or "No!" chorus from the gallery... I'm such a lazy thinker
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

Calculate your build cost on the L race motor, come up with a figure you are happy to sell the s motor for to cover the build costs etc and put it to the market.
    Hopefully,Happy seller,happy Buyer...
    S Registry#2021

Mag or alum case? I would think this engine to be desirable for any '68 with non-matching numbers.

....or anyone building a TR (hint, hint Gytis).

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnerman View Post
    Mag or alum case? I would think this engine to be desirable for any '68 with non-matching numbers.
    Mag case, fairly early production.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmiked View Post
    ....or anyone building a TR (hint, hint Gytis).
    This was sort of my thinking also. But the goal of this car is to keep it eligible for a specific racing class over here and a replica TR is ineligible.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga