Thread: Whats the diffrence between code C03 California and C02 rest of USA?

Whats the diffrence between code C03 California and C02 rest of USA?

whats the difference in 1970 between option code C02 Rest of USA and C03 California? can someone elaborate on this..?

thanks in advance
    Nick

Not sure what the codes are but California always had the tightest emissions regulations of all the United States. Therefore, cars had to have additional emissions equipment such as auxiliary air pumps, thermal reactors, etc. in order to be sold here. Some manufacturers decide it is cheaper to make and certify a car in California and then sell it everywhere, using economy of scale to keep costs down. Back then they would have had separate specifications for California and for the rest of the US (and another for the rest of the world). Some car makers still do this- even the Toyota Prius has a better emissions control system in CA than in one sold in Florida, or even right next door in Arizona. Some cars (mostly low volume, high performance sports cars) couldn't be sold or registerred in California because automakers did not want to go through the trouble of meeting the emissions regulations.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Flieger summed it up well. California is incredibly strict with their emission laws. There are still a lot of cars being made that require your knowledge of it being a Federal car vs a California car when you're getting parts.

Thanks,
    I should have guessed it hade something to do with environment and stricter emission laws. Did california cars carry the same 1970 gold foil emission label for engine shelf as the rest of the US cars?

Regards
    Nick

I suspect those air standards were not in effect in 1970 - don't think there was CA car emissions separate from rest of US - that likely came in the later 70's with the air pumps on the 77/78? cars
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

I believe it started in 1968.
    --Scott
    1971 911T Targa, metallic gold

I´ve seen labels from 1972 especially mention that the vehicle also comply to CA regulations, but are not sure when it started. My original label from 1970 doesent. It only says: This vehicle conforms to US Dept of HEW Regulations applicable to 1970 model year New Motor Vehicles. But I dont think my vehicle was for the CA market.

Regards
    Nick

Not an expert but 1968 VW's had different carbs for CA cars and rest of the US distributed vehicles. With that I'm pretty sure 1968 was when CA emissions started for the most part as mentioned above.

Stretch

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch32 View Post
    Not an expert but 1968 VW's had different carbs for CA cars and rest of the US distributed vehicles. With that I'm pretty sure 1968 was when CA emissions started for the most part as mentioned above.
    Stretch
    In 1968, Porsche was not able to export its 911 S-model to the US/CA.
    Registry member No.773