Thread: 69S oil tank detail opinions please

69S oil tank detail opinions please

I am looking for advice and opinion regarding the oil tank on an early 69S that I am restoring. The Kardex states 10/68 as first registered

The question relates to the fittings on the tank, I originally considered it to be a replacement with a Sporto tank being fitted, but would like opinion if anyone else has similar or knows about this detail
    It has been discussed that replacement tanks had the fittings installed and were suitable for both models

My feeling is that it is original, as the car was stored for a lengthy period of its life, and is still low mileage. Most of the other parts of the car are original having been identified by the dating stamps and markings

The sender unit is probably original, but that could have been swapped with a tank change

Phil Hindley
    Tech 9 Motorsport
    United Kingdom

www.tech-9.co.uk

Early S registry membership #2207

65 911 Racecar
    82 911 SC Coupe
    91 944 Turbo

Phil,

It looks like it may be a Sporto tank, as you suggested, with the two extra outlets that are blocked in your photo.

I take it you've checked the VIN? My car was origionaly a Sporto, but changed at some time in the 70's, and the only thing left from the Sporto system was the oil tank.
    Tony

Hi Phil, as you are aware that is a sporto tank. Only sportomatic cars used that tank as it has the additional internal oil lines.

HTH

Alan

I agree100%

I used it (nos of course... Ahahaha) for my sport purpose 68S because it was used in racing cars with twin front oil coolers thanx to it bigger capacity ( 2 liters) than the standard tank.
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE