Thread: Advice on used versus reproduction?

Advice on used versus reproduction?

I want to swap out an incorrect front sway/stabiliser bar on my 71S for the OEM 15mm bar. Problem is, Porsche don't make the bar any more and it is NLA at all the usual places (Pelican, Stoddard, Sierra, etc). I have found a repro being made in Europe. Eg,

http://www.rosepassion.com/en/cat/po...r-15-mm/P13151
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Porsche-911-S...:X:RTQ:DE:1123

Maybe I am being paranoid, but I'm concerned that there is no way of knowing whether a repro bar has been made with the correct steel (hardness, etc) and is therefore safe and fit for purpose. Alternative seems to be to pick up a used one . . . but again, who knows if it has been abused in the past.

I'm leaning towards used because if it looks ok, it probably is.

Any thoughts? Am I worrying unnecessarily about the repro sway bars?

Thanks!
    Nick

1971 2.2S, Bahia Red

Early 911S # 2534
    TYP901 # 264
    Porsche Club of NSW

Nothing wrong with paranoia but the 15mm bars are widely available on the used market and unless somebody has used it as a wrecking bar it should be fine. Originals have 15 stamped in the end.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

If it looks straight, no big nicks or rust then it is good. If you got a new bar with bad material it would most likely break pretty early on. The failure of a sway bar is pretty benign though. If you are on the track you notice an increase in understeer. If you are on the street you notice a klunking noise and wonder what it is for a few days then look under there and see the bar broken. I didn't notice that my sway bar bracket had broken until my electric fuel pump failed and the car was going on a flatbed.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425