Thread: FS: New, custom made GTS Classics seats

FS: New, custom made GTS Classics seats

I have a pair of seats that I recently had made for one of my project cars and I've decided to sell the car, so I am selling these seats separately. They are the Avus seat, but they are different from the standard Avus seat that is made by GTS Classics. They have different headrests and some other custom touches that I requested from Stefan. It's along story, but if you are interested in the seats, read on...

When I was looking to have a set of seats made, I flew to Texas and met Stefan. We discussed seats in general and he was kind enough to show me his seat production shop. I spent an afternoon there and sampled all of his seats that interested me. Originally I liked the ST and Rallye seats the best. I asked him to ship a couple of different seat frames with cushions to me and I test mounted them in a car and found that the best seat for my needs was the Avus, which gave effectively the same lower lateral support as the others, but were noticeably easier to get into and out of, when actually mounted in a car. The others did have a little more support in the upper sides but this didn't appear to be significant and it was a trade-off that I thought was worth it.

I planned to use these seats with a harness and the most significant change that I made was to utilize a different headrest. Most of the seats that I tried (and I tried a bunch, including Stefan's; flying to LA to try the offerings from TRE; plus l looked at a few Recaros) had headrest post spacing that conflicted with where the shoulder belts need to be run. I did some research and found that the sport seats out of a an E30 BMW M3 had posts that were 6-1/2" apart, outside to outside, which gave me perfect spacing for 2" harness belts. So, I bought a pair of the appropriate headrests and bought a pair of the seat frames, to remove the headrest tubes. I sent the headrest tubes and headrests to Stefan and he welded the tubes into his seat frames at the appropriate points. An added bonus is that the headrests are adjustable for both height and reach. I think the headrests have a period correct look, as Recaro used some of that general shape in that era. Plus, they can be removed, if desired.

I also asked for a couple other changes. The first was to located the lap belt holes as high and as rearward as he could, to give better installation angles for the lap belts. This was determined by measuring the seat frames, when installed in a car and ajdusted to the proper location for a 5-9 to 5-11 driver. I also asked for a slight change to the bottom of the frames, to reduce the amount of deflection of the support webbing on the seat bottoms. The seats were upholstered in black leather and corduroy and provisions were made in the upholstery for the installation of sub belts. They have not been mounted in a car.

There are a total of 8 possible mounting points on the bottom of the seats. See the photo of the bottom of the seat. The spacing between the front row and the rear row is approximately 270mm, or 10-5/8 inches. The spacing between the outer mounting points is approximately 381mm, or 15 inches. The spacing between the inner mounting points is approximately 335mm, or 13-5/32 inches. The spacing between one outer and one inner mounting point is approximately 358mm, or 14-3/32 inches. Mounting them in this last fashion allows you to offset them inboard about a half an inch, which allows them to line up better with the steering wheel in some cars. They weigh approximately 23-1/2 pounds each, which is quite a bit lighter than stock seats.

The price for the pair is $2,500, plus shipping from 74137. This is less than I have in them and less than they would cost to make today, given the BMW parts that are needed for the headrest conversion. Please direct any inquiries to my email account, which is jeff.roberts@cox.net

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

A couple more photos of the headrest, which shows them at their maximum height and also shows the extent of the forward and rearward tilt:
    Attached Images Attached Images

So, I've been ask to expand on my comments about the support of the upper sides of the seat, as compared to the more aggressively bolstered seats like the ST or Rallye seats. The best way I can explain it is this; the majority of the lateral support in both cases comes from the butt and legs being wedged into place. Any of the three seats feels similar in this respect. On the ST and Rallye seats, the upper support was there but the seats were large enough in that area to allow me quite a bit of room (and I have a fairly wide upper body), so the upper side bolsters didn't offer the same lateral support as the bottom. Since ingress and egress was so much easier with these seats, even with the seat pushed back on the tracks to allow better access, it was a no-brainer for me.

Thanks,
    Jeff

I got some shipping estimates for a potential buyer and found that I can probably get these seats shipped for around $200 to a buyer on the coast, and maybe less to buyers in the middle of the country. I'd really like to sell them this weekend, as I have a car coming home from a restoration shop and I need all the room I can get.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Okay, I've had over 460 views of this ad, a couple of sales that didn't pan out and some offers for things I don't need... Anybody want to make me an offer on these? They are really nicely made and I'd really like to make some room in the garage.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Last edited by javadog; 10-18-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Okay, I have been asked if these will fit a particular car. Without going through all of the possibilities, I will say that they will bolt directly into a stock 914-6 seat rail bracket. As for a 911, there are at least 4 different arrangements that I am familiar with regarding the seat mounting, so I would say that you can probably count on making a pair of simple adapters to put these into a 911. If you want them to tilt, you can buy brackets from Stefan at GTS Classics that are similar in concept to those fitted to the LWB sports seats. He can probably sell you other adapters to put these into whatever 911 you have, if you don't want to tackle it yourself, as I am sure he's been down that road a time or two.

Have I mentioned that I'd really like to find another home for these?

Thanks,
    Jeff