Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Tire Choices - What is your opinion or experience?

I consider my car to be, first and foremost, a tool for spirited dry-weather driving and maybe an occasional autocross or track day. For me tires are a consumable and there's no point in compromising the drive just to have a tire that merely looks right. That said, I have a limit to what aesthetic compromises I will make - i.e. I have no interest in 17" wheels and 40-series tires on my early car.

I've seen lots of posts on this magnificent forum on how great the Avons are, both aesthetically AND to drive on. I 100% agree about the looks but do they work as tires just as well as the modern alternatives? I'm not looking for the cheapest solution - just the one that fits my purposes.
    M3pilot, you nailed it.

Many of us have in our minds a vision of how they want their car to look - the stance, the way tires fill the fender wells, the aggressive (or not) way it looks at rest vs moving down the road, etc. I'm no different... there is a "look" that really does it for me... but I'm not made of money, and my car is an ex-race car that is now used for vintage rallies, track days, and spirited driving.... it's not a show car... and to me handling is vastly more important than how it looks. At the end of the day, I'm not necessarily worried about the small differences in "bulge" between 205/60 vs. 185/70 or 195/65. Meaning, I know what the old tires look like, and appreciate the need to stay away from super modern, low-profile tires... but I also always value having tires that grip when you want them to, above tires that look period-correct.

Name:  rt_front_carmel.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  64.4 KB

To me, this car ( 1193000009 ) has about the perfect stance and tire-size for a LWB chassis, and this is essentially the look I'm after. What I don't know are the actual sizes of both wheels and tires on the car. To my eye, it looks like there are 6R's with 195/65's on the front, and 7R's with 225/50's on the back ... but that's just a guess. Can anyone add some definition to this?

Name:  drivers_side.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  226.7 KB
    Last edited by bxd; 10-03-2013 at 07:26 PM. Reason: duh
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

My guess is that the rear tires are at least a 55 or 60 series tire

Quote Originally Posted by bxd View Post

To me, this car ( 1193000009 ) has about the perfect stance and tire-size for a LWB chassis, and this is essentially the look I'm after. What I don't know are the actual sizes of both wheels and tires on the car. To my eye, it looks like there are 6R's with 195/65's on the front, and 7R's with 225/50's on the back ... but that's just a guess. Can anyone add some definition to this?

Name:  drivers_side.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  226.7 KB
    That car has race tires. 500M front, 550M rear. The closest street size is 205/60 and 215or225/60.....
    You won't get a street tire to look like that.
    There are many good options here but the original question was for a comparable to the BFG 205/60.
    I would value Marco's opinion as he gets to drive more than I do on different tires.
    H

I'd say you would get very close to that look with Advan A0048's in a 205/60-15 size

That car has race tires. 500M front, 550M rear.
    Thanks Harvey. I know you mentioned that before in another thread, but I wasn't quite sure what you meant... now I understand

And yes, Marco's list was valuable, as everyone's input has been. Tires are such a subjective thing, I'm glad we're sharing what we run, and why.
    Last edited by bxd; 10-05-2013 at 03:05 PM.
    Jordan
    S Registry #1933

I just put TR Toyo RA 1s on and the first impressions are favorable. In a thread about 2-3 months ago I got good feedback c k and posted a table w different options and prices ( alt h tough not all inclusive, just TR offerings for 15 in tires)

I have this discussion regularly with a friend of mine who is VERY opinionated about this controversial "wear item" on his '73 911E and '96 993. He is a CPA, so go figure... It is easy to argue for, or against a particular tire as it may be among the most subjective component on the car. In my opinion, nothing matches the original performance and appearance of the XWX on an early 911S. It is a simple fact that there are better performing tires, especially considering the technological advancements over the past 40 years.... similar to that of home construction window technology. Again, it is just my opinion, but I think that it would be unfortunate for a Frank Lloyd Wright original to be fitted with a nice, new set of white vinyl thermal-paned windows.
    Louis

'61 Mercedes-Benz 180Db - Schwarz/Burgundy
    '66 911 coupe - Champagne Yellow/Black
    '68 MG midget - Blue/Red
    '69 GMC 3/4 ton, 4x4, 350, 4 spd, 4.56 - Lt. Blue/Lt. Blue
    '70 911S coupe - Lt. Ivory/Black
    '75 Mercedes-Benz 450SL - Lt. Ivory/Orange Bamboo
    '82 Corvette - Black/Black
    '83 Mercedes-Benz 240D, 4spd - Weisengelb/Palomino
    '11 Mercedes-Benz E350 - Cuprite/Chestnut
    '12 Volvo XC70 - Oyster Gray/Black

Quote Originally Posted by mmusto View Post
    I'd say you would get very close to that look with Advan A0048's in a 205/60-15 size
    I've been interested in trying the A0048's in that size on deep sixes. Anyone have experience fitting that combo on a SWB?
    Looking at my current 195/65 setup (Michelin Exalto Pilot) there appears to be plenty of clearance.
    Alan Domme
    Austin, TX
    '68 912 coupe
    '16 VW Golf R
    Early 911S Registry #1361
    912 Registry

Lotus Elise use the smaller width Advan AO48s I believe.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Unless I'm mistaken, the model of Yokahama tire we're talking about is called "ADVAN A048". Right?
    Jordan
    S Registry #1933