Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door hinge pin removal - need help with tool...

Door hinge pin removal - need help with tool...

I need help in understanding how the P290 (door pin removal toold) from Baum Tools works on the upper hinge pin (where the pin is driven downward. It worked fine on the lower hinge pin where the 'slide' is drawn upwards and hits against the collar that is threaded on the upper end, but for the life of me, I don't see how the upper hinge pin is removed....on that tool, there is no corresponding collar midway down the shaft to drive the slide against to drive that pin downwards. There is (or I should say was) a very hollow pin that goes through the shaft about midway but it seems I've already destroyed it....and its purpose is clearly not to hit the slide against it. Can anyone help?

I have the factory tool which has a very large stop welded on the shaft to take the downward hits, sounds like the pin was trying to do the same thing,,,,just not as well. I'll try to find a picture, or take one Monday.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed..thank you..I have the factory manual and can see the stop on it..believe, the pin I referenced is hollow and about the diameter of pencil lead..perhaps a safety so the slide would not fall on your hand. I swear someone forgot to weld a collar stop on the shaft as the factory tool has but I checked their website photo and no collar is evident..makes no sense. Thank you.

I bought the factory tool within the last 12 months and it has the collar in the middle. Both ends are threaded so you can switch ends for push/pull. You could always weld a collar on the middle of your I suppose.

We made our own and also made the slide hammer. We use it all the time with no probs. I have an original tool but did make some modifications so it clears the A post better than the original.

HTH

Alan

On this pic you can also see the slide brace. It is the hammer hitting either the lower (for the removal of the top pin) or upper brace (removal of the lower pin) which transfers the force to the pin.

Hope these help?

Alan

Just out of interest here is an early pin tool we made. We machined this from a single billet so super strong, but the design is flawed slightly, in that even though it clears the a post the greater distance from the pin to the slide hammer is too great and thus is difficult to use. This is why the tools we make and the original factory tool run so close to the A post.

Again HTH

Alan
    Last edited by Alan.uk; 10-05-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Yes, all of the descriptions and photos have the collar mid-way or so down the shaft...makes perfect sense, and without it (such as the $200.00 tool I purchased) it only is capable of driving pins up and not down. I can't wait to hear what the supplier has to say on Monday.

Mac73s, did you ever talk with the supplier? I am interested in purchasing the same tool (P290) but only if it is going to be able to remove both pins. Interested in finding out how you made out.

I spoke with Mac when he was having his issue. The answer is using a hammer to strike the top of the tool when removing the lower pin rather than relying on the slide. Works like a charm.