Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CSRG Charity Challnge - Oct. '13

CSRG Charity Challnge - Oct. '13

One of my favorite vintage weekends of the year.

Great weather, good attendance, marvelous cars including some not seen before, good friends.............I can't think of a more pleasant way to spend a beautiful Saturday.

If you have any questions re any of the cars or details below, please just ask and I'll be happy to provide the information.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

five more.......the first three are of a '52 Jaguar "C" Type.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 10-09-2013 at 04:27 AM.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

and another set of five.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 10-08-2013 at 07:17 AM.

and yet another set of five.

The first & last shots in this set are of the open engine of a '62 Austin-Healy3000, Mk II which was just rebuilt and hadn't had its valves and SU carburetters (sic) adjusted yet.

the fifth set of five. The last two shots are not a Cobra, rather, one of the cleanest, best preserved 6-cylinder A.C. Bristols I've ever seen. Love the Aston-Martin racing green paint job........how very British.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 10-15-2013 at 04:40 AM.

and another set.........

and another five, please. The first two shots are of the engine compartment of a Ferrari 312 which normally was powered by a 12 cylinder 180 degree flat Boxer engine, but Luigi Chinetti's NART organization built this one off 3.0 liter V-12 for American sports car racing.

and the last set.

As is so frequently the case, especially at CSRG events, some of the owner's daily drivers they bring exceed their track / race cars in interest and performance. This 500E is the first of the M-B / AMG collaborations which were actually assembled by Porsche at Zuffenhausen from M-B bodies "in white". What a wonderful autobahn car.........earned the nickname of "the Hammer".

Thanks for looking,

JZG
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 02-06-2014 at 04:03 AM. Reason: swapped Vette photo

The Hammer

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    . . . This 500E is the first of the M-B / AMG collaborations which were actually assembled by Porsche at Zuffenhausen from M-B bodies "in white". What a wonderful autobahn car.........earned the nickname of "the Hammer". . .
    Uhhhh --- no . . .

The 500E is a Mercedes

The Hammer is an AMG --- built before Mercedes bought the company . . . and a entirely different car . . .

. . . Like every other German tuning company, AMG did a fine business in cars with Recaro seats, ATS wheels and trick paint during the 1970s, but its racing-style engine modifications became more and more popular into the 1980s. And when the first BMW M5 appeared as a concept car in 1984 with its BMW M1 engine, AMG responded to the challenge . . .

The Hammer . . .

. . . As with the BMW M5, AMG started with a midsize car, the $39,000 Mercedes-Benz 300E. For $17,000, AMG would transplant the 5.6-liter M117 V8 of the Mercedes 560 SEC under the hood of the E-Class and then bolt on DOHC cylinder heads with four valves per cylinder, stretching the performance envelope from 177 horsepower to 355 hp . . .

. . . For a further $39,950, AMG would bore out the engine to 6.0 liters and blueprint it, then match it up with a revalved four-speed transmission, a Torsen limited-slip in the largest available rear differential, and a stouter rear subframe to withstand the twist, not to mention a full kit of exterior and interior trim pieces. Once you emptied your pockets of your last $14,170, you'd get the lower AMG suspension with more aggressive damping, and 17-inch wheels with 215/45VR17 front and 235/45VR17 rear Pirelli P700 tires. Then you'd need another $18,000 to bolt it all together . . .

. . . As near as we can figure, the AMG Hammer would cost you $161,422. Most were built from the four-door version of the W124 body, although the prototype seems to have been a two-door and a wagon was built for a buyer in Chicago. Perhaps as many as 30 cars had some form of the Hammer makeover, each custom-ordered. Even AMG says it can't really be sure about the total . . .

. . . Back in 1986 you could have had two examples of the Ferrari Testarossa for the price of one loaded AMG Hammer. Not that you'd be any faster at conveying four people in the two Italian cars. At the time, Ferrari quoted a top speed of about 180 mph for the Testarossa, but we're holding in our hands a piece of AMG letterhead stationery (complete with fax number; remember those?) that quotes a top speed for the Hammer of 190 mph. Actually, it says "over" 190 mph . . .

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...s-hot-rod.html

Notice . . .

NO 3-pointed stars

Anywhere
    Last edited by LongRanger; 10-06-2013 at 06:21 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

John, as always, thanks for the remarkable photo essay!