Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a color change IMPROVE value?

Red face Can a color change IMPROVE value?

I've got the opportunity to purchase a 1967 911S that needs a complete restoration. I am prepared to undertake the project with one caveat. The car was originally Polo Red. I realize that some of us wouldn't take issue with that, but my own unofficial research seems to indicate that this color is fairly far down the desirability ladder.

I'm wondering if I choose another (period correct) color if I can not only improve my appreciation of the car but also improve it's value when and if I decide to sell. If I was to choose a seldom seen optional color for example; Prussian Blue, Stone Grey, or even Medium Ivory would it make up for the hit in value? I realize that everyone will say to do what I want as it's my own car. What I want to know is if I can overcome the penalty for doing a color change by using a rarer optional color.

I'm not a fan of red, so keeping it original is not an option. I'm interested in a discussion of the financial aspects of this decision more than the ethical ones.

Thanks for any input.
    -Mike

I'm not a big 'red' guy either but Polo Red is really nice....and original colors are always best in my opinion.
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

If I was a buyer and a color change had been performed...I'd pass...But if it was Red, I would also pass

This is a tough one.

Original '67S cars are usually most valuable in their original color. But why? Other Marques...especially Ferrari...seem to see no devaluation after being repainted in a different color from original.

My 2 cents. If you are planning on reselling your '67S as soon as you finish it...then do it in it's original color. But if you plan on driving and enjoying it for many years then do it in a color you like. It's a '67S. It has the pedigree...The color is second to the pedigree.
    R.

I agree that red is not always the best of colors.
    My 73 E was Bahia red from birth....now it's viper green and staying that way with zero regrets or thoughts of changing it back to the factory color.

Also agree that keeping a car it's original color is often best.
    But that said....

If the color change is done correctly and thoroughly, I'd still buy a car with a drop dead color change on it.
    Especially a rarer color.
    My 2 cents.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Thanks guys. I too have marveled at the Ferrari color change ambivalence. To put it more plainly, if a restored Polo Red 67S is a $150k car (to pick a number from a hat), would the same car with a color change to Cloudy Grey (go find another one) be a less valuable proposition. And if so, by how much?

I would think that the difference in value between a repaint in the original shade and a color change would be negligible. It would be a different story if it were the original paint- not just color, but the paint. Then there would be a big hit no matter the color you changed it to. Well, unless it was Sepia to start.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    so are you buying this car to own it or to sell it? Maybe leave it for someone that loves polo red and wants to restore and enjoy it as such? by the time you are done restoring this car, the market will have changed somehow I imagine.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

If you keep the color change to the same side of the color spectrum, for example red to orange or blue to light blue or white to ivory, it helps when you pick up the carpet and see the old color. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Mike, I have always color changed my restorations...every single one of them! It hasn't hurt the value at all. As a matter of fact, I have sold them or had the valued at much higher than the current market rates. Picking the right color is critical! You mentioned cloudy grey...does that mean it is a flat color? If so, I would advise against that. Been there, done that.

I've got the same dilemma with a '69S project which was originally Irish Green and I'm strongly considering a color change.

Good luck, can't wait to see it!
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #