Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60's era Metallurgy

60's era Metallurgy

Has anyone heard that the late 60's era Porsches were made out of Italian steel that is prone to becoming brittle over time? I haven't seen this happening to my car, but I heard it is an issue that exists beyond the rust from a guy in Reno. I was trolling the threads, and it doesn't look like it has come up as an issue. Any tribal knowledge on the subject?

That sounds like the punch line of a joke...

The steel is certainly not precipitation-hardening steel, as that has only become widespread recently. So it won't get brittle over time unless you are stressing it too much and causing it to work harden.

Now if you want to talk about rust over time, that is a different matter.

911s must be German steel.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

yes i have expierienced that the steel gets brittle on early 911...this also happened to some nos parts i have here in my shop....so i also think that the steel is ageing...
    sheet metal used for stamping car body parts is a special steel(sondertiefziehgüte--thats the german word) and it can not be stored for long time cause it looses its positive charactaristics for forming within weeks after production. i assume this process slows down but never ends...im not a metallurgy geek ....so just dangerous half knowledge.

but i doubt that this is a safety issue .....so far
    Last edited by moito; 10-21-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Buy a Corvette.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

or a A110

I always heard Karmann invented rust and licensed it to the Italians...
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    yes i have expierienced that the steel gets brittle on early 911...this also happened to some nos parts i have here in my shop....so i also think that the steel is ageing...
    sheet metal used for stamping car body parts is a special steel(sondertiefziehgüte--thats the german word) and it can not be stored for long time cause it looses its positive charactaristics for forming within weeks after production. i assume this process slows down but never ends...im not a metallurgy geek ....so just dangerous half knowledge.

but i doubt that this is a safety issue .....so far
    Were those parts plated?

I agree that nowadays steels are designed to harden over time (but only at elevated temperatures) or to have retained metastable phases that convert after cold-working or heat treatment, but I believe that in the 1960's it was mostly just plain steel.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

My car is made of German steel and I prove it here: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ts+restoration
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Aside from the various forms of oxidation, metals don't "age". The only thing that makes steel brittle is excessive cold... we're talking double digit
    negative Kelvin numbers here, not winter temperatures. If of the same metallurgical composition, old steel or new will have the same tensile and
    compressive strength. Excessive heat is the killer, altering the molecular alignment of most metals... any car that's been in a fire should be scrapped.

Sitting for 50 years in a dry barn? No problem.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    Aside from the various forms of oxidation, metals don't "age". The only thing that makes steel brittle is excessive cold... we're talking double digit
    negative Kelvin numbers here, not winter temperatures. If of the same metallurgical composition, old steel or new will have the same tensile and
    compressive strength. Excessive heat is the killer, altering the molecular alignment of most metals... any car that's been in a fire should be scrapped.

Sitting for 50 years in a dry barn? No problem.

o.k. metals dont age...but metal used for a 86 is different from the one a 67 is made out of..it is easier to form and softer. and is not cracking as fast...

what about magnesium alloy? i would not go for a hot ride with my 917 even on nos rims.... what is this process called that makes magnesium brittle?