Thread: FS: "Rare" 1968 Porsche 911L 911 L Smog Pump

FS: "Rare" 1968 Porsche 911L 911 L Smog Pump

Came from a friend's 68 911L. Needs to be restored. All you get are what's on the pictures. Saw an ebay listing asking $295 just for the air blower pump alone. Asking $1000 or best offer. Have no use for it. ADD 3% for paypal and $25 shipping in the continental USA only. Will ship worldwide

photobucket link: http://s226.photobucket.com/user/jga...%20smog%20pump
    Last edited by trunos73rs; 10-24-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    1973 Porsche 911T lightweight (Tangerine)
    1991 Ducati 851 Superbike SP3 Spec
    1968 Porsche 911L #449

Jun

The times they are a changin'

Nice find. 68's all ran HOTTER due to the increased emissions regulations due to the air pump. You'll find more than a few 68 912 models with cracked heads.

If you're going for the gold you'll need this otherwise your car isn't 100% original.

Isn't life strange?

We:

Threw away air injection pumps
    Threw away MFI systems
    Threw away Thermal Reactors
    Threw away AC components
    Threw away original exhaust systems

For authenticity some of these items would be needed (for the pertinent car) to show at any level above a parking lot get-together.

In the Corvette world this is serious business. Date codes and all!*

Good luck!

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Your pump setup is mostly complete. You don't show the two lines that connect the exhaust port injector lines to the valve. I am not sure if they had different pump configurations but your pump is also different from mine and you've got an extra part. I'd be curious to see how this was all connected. I have seen very few cars with the smog system in place. I've included a couple reference photos for someone interested in seeing this system in place. Good luck with your sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Nice find. 68's all ran HOTTER due to the increased emissions regulations due to the air pump. You'll find more than a few 68 912 models with cracked heads.

If you're going for the gold you'll need this otherwise your car isn't 100% original.

Isn't life strange?

We:

Threw away air injection pumps
    Threw away MFI systems
    Threw away Thermal Reactors
    Threw away AC components
    Threw away original exhaust systems

For authenticity some of these items would be needed (for the pertinent car) to show at any level above a parking lot get-together.

In the Corvette world this is serious business. Date codes and all!*

Good luck!

Tom
    Yea I removed my smog equipment when I performed my rebuild, but atleast I boxed and saved what I removed.

Thanks for all the feedbacks. I understand this equipment doesn't help the performance at all. It's just for somebody who wants it for originality or whatever.
    1973 Porsche 911T lightweight (Tangerine)
    1991 Ducati 851 Superbike SP3 Spec
    1968 Porsche 911L #449

Jun

If one is showing their car in a high caliber concours, you'll need this (complete). On the other hand, no doubt you can "neuter" this contraption with not too much effort so it is all show and no (anti) go. 1968s are not much shown and are rare birds in U.S. concours at least. Most1968s are at least, semi-hotrodded. Thanks.

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by jt912 View Post
    Your pump setup is mostly complete. You don't show the two lines that connect the exhaust port injector lines to the valve. I am not sure if they had different pump configurations but your pump is also different from mine and you've got an extra part. I'd be curious to see how this was all connected. I have seen very few cars with the smog system in place. I've included a couple reference photos for someone interested in seeing this system in place. Good luck with your sale.
    Super nice looking smog set up; some restoration or REALLY low miles example here!

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    Super nice looking smog set up
    Never in a million years would I have expected to see this comment on an automotive enthusiast forum. Never.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Me neither. My 68, originally from SoCal, proudly has its pump removed and deposited where it will not be used. Fine German cars and originality in my mind does not desirably include a smog pump.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

You guys need to get green !!!

-Allen-

PS You're right of course, since because of this kaka (a some other stuff lacking), this "L" was not an "S" !
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 10-25-2013 at 09:34 AM.