Thread: COA or paperwork

COA or paperwork

Hey Everyone,

I've always put a lot of stock in the "coolness factor" associated with ownership history. Personally, I really admire a complete record of a car's lifetime. However, in most instances, there are some gaps and potentially limited early information as these cars often traded hands without much concern about preserving the car's historical significance.

So here are the questions.
    1. Does a nearly complete record of ownership really matter and if so, why?
    2. Is it simply the history that we love?
    3. Is a COA/Kardex all we need to ensure that a car is as it was "then"?
    4. Why is an unbroken chain of ownership such a holy grail?

To be honest, a cool car with a few run-of-the-mill owners is still a cool car regardless of how many oil change slips and tire rotations are documented. (granted I am playing the devil's advocate with that last sentence).

I just want to hear people's opinions. And I suspect this will turn into a value thread.
    Last edited by oscillon; 10-22-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    1996 993 black/tan

I think it's very nice to have the original papers and maintainance booklet.
    Knowing who the first owner was, where the car went in the first place.
    After that, two, three, four owners? Not that interesting.
    The condition of the car is more important.

Maintainance records are not that important.
    Maybe nice to know about the last five years...
    But anything can fail at any moment, regardless any overhaul...
    Slate Gray, Red Leather, 1968 912 HWT

The market speaks volumes on this, if given two similar cars (which of course almost never happens in the real world) the market pays more for the holy grail car that features the unbroken chain of documentation from day 1 to current. Similar bonus points for cool items such as original bill of sale, window sticker, stamped VIN correct service book, etc.

Personally I only keep the cars that I consider to be "binder" cars. Which to me means I can build a 3 ring binder which contains everything. Stupid, probably... Am I alone in this OCD? I don't think so...

Sure we can all argue that condition matters most of all and of course that is true, but if given an excellent car full history is the icing on the cake.

We recently acquired a one owner 59 Hardtop Cabriolet that had a piece of paperwork I had never seen before, and doubtful will ever see again. It was the owner's Factory Pass from when he picked up the car new in Stuttgart. The pass you were supposed to turn in at the gate when you left, and this guy pocketed. I found it in the original shop manual.
    There is provenance, and there is PROVENANCE!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!