Thread: What do I do now ?

What do I do now ?

So..... I have a '70 T signal orange with great tub,good interior with GTS seats,orange plaid, redone suspension. Came with 3.0 Euro motor with Webers and uncertain heritage. No flares. Unfortunately it suffered catastrophic engine failure of uncertain cause. I had added oil cooler when 1st bought,and had just added SSI's and Dansk muffler. Have not torn apart motor but quit suddenly on easy drive, won't turn over and oil has telltale bits of copper and ferrous material.
    Local shop has a 3.6L with 80,000 miles available. Any thoughts on how that affects car's balance,etc? Should I go back to a 3.0 ?
    Thanks. I have a 73 S stock except for 2.7RS rebuild on original case and stock 68 L.
    J acker

If you can swing the 3.6 go for it, but they have their own issues as well. If this is just a street car you probably won't notice the extra weight in the back. Should be like going from a LWB to a SWB. EFI is nice to have- unless you like trying to coax life into cold carbs and can tune all their little needle valves and jets and such.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    you probably won't notice the extra weight in the back. Should be like going from a LWB to a SWB..
    IMHO going from SWB to LWB is a big step

Well, there are lots of setup/tuning differences between SWB and LWB. I just meant changing only the swingarm length.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by Jacker View Post
    good interior with GTS seats,orange plaid
    How long ago did Stefan do your seats? I'm having him do a set in orange plaid for my 70S because I saw another set he was doing and fell in love with them. Wondering if they were yours?

Why not see what the cost would be to adapt the used high mileage 3.6 and all its electronics and other differences vs. what the cost would be to have a fresh 3.0 built with good rod bolts and cylinder studs that will plug right back in.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I'd go with the modern FI 3.6 motor any day. The only thing that would put me off is if the motor was a varioram motor. They have slight clearance issues in the early cars and while great when running well the varioram has a few issues.

The cost will be close either way. A full tear down and rebuild can easily hit $15K if professionally done.

Thanks to all. I'm dropping the 3.0 out this week, so should have a little more idea of whether it's totalled or not. Seats were done couple of years ago. Beautiful. After I picked out the material I had to wait as it came from Scotland. It was wortit,especially when I found out the name....Tennessee Volunteer tartan plaid !
    J acker