Views: 649
Size:  117.4 KBName:  Engine.JPG
Views: 660
Size:  112.5 KBName:  Car.JPG
Views: 644
Size:  124.8 KBName:  Car2.JPG
Views: 607
Size:  113.1 KB

I need help with a barn find. The short story is a 70 year old gentleman bought this car from his neighbor's wife after her husband passed away. The husband had the flares put on the car, and a ducktail. The engine has never been out of that car and has 110k on it. The glass, chrome and all rubber look to be in good shape, tires are brand new. The seller replaced a tie rod and put new spark plugs in it. He swears and I believe him that the car ran perfectly before he swapped out the plugs (he may have switched the wires). Now the car will not start, and the time he did try to start it there was a backfire. The engine does turn over with the ignition. All gauges and instruments work. The undercarriage has no rust that I can see without putting it on a hoist. There is a 2" split in the floorboard beneath the driver's feet. Everything else inside looks good except for a crack in the dash. The seller wants it sold NOW because he is out of state. The price is
    $11,000. Do the flared fenders detract that much from the car, does this look to good to be true? Your thoughts.
    Thank You
    Last edited by eclipse; 10-27-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

I'd throw $11k at that car real quick.

Hurry before someone else beats you to it!

Buy it. Asap...
    Jake
    Early 911S Registry Member #2799
    1973 911S - "Tangerine Tornado" - Two Time SCCA Solo II National Champion (1976 and 1981)
    1967 Corvette Roadster (Black/Black/Black) 4-speed

I'm not trying to be weird about this, I truly appreciate the insight from forum guys who see these types and conditions of cars on the forum on a pretty regular basis. If the older gentleman selling it wasn't such a solid guy I'd definitely be looking for a PPI to be done first. Buts the situation being what it is, I need to make a move quickly. So, I'm looking for something, anything, that should cause me some concern.
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    I'm not trying to be weird about this, I truly appreciate the insight from forum guys who see these types and conditions of cars on the forum on a pretty regular basis. If the older gentleman selling it wasn't such a solid guy I'd definitely be looking for a PPI to be done first. Buts the situation being what it is, I need to make a move quickly. So, I'm looking for something, anything, that should cause me some concern.
    Eclipse
    It's green and it has 80's turbo flare chip guards....
    Jake
    Early 911S Registry Member #2799
    1973 911S - "Tangerine Tornado" - Two Time SCCA Solo II National Champion (1976 and 1981)
    1967 Corvette Roadster (Black/Black/Black) 4-speed

First of all, welcome to the Registry... what's your name? Introductions matter here.

The car is worth the asking price in parts alone, no matter what else is wrong, assuming that he mixed up the spark plug leads and the motor runs "perfectly". Put the old plugs back in. Look for rust and Bondo under all that paint. The ducktail is a bad aftermarket copy.

Buy the car.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

It may be worth $11,000 for parts?
    And it looks too good for that
    BUT filler can hide a lot of issues.
    I would buy it at that price,but I'm nuts.

Help with barn find

Thank you for the input, I've been following the forum for years now. I sincerely appreciate all of the help. I agree the duck tail is a poor repop but that's an easy fix if the parts are found. The flares are a whole other issue, though they seem to be well done for what they are.
    Kevin

Rear flares look ST. Fronts don't look ST, Turbo, or RSR.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425