Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Targa Rear Glass Installation

Targa Rear Glass Installation

Any good tips out there to help ease the installation of the rear glass on my 1970 Targa? Thanks

This job can be very hard or rather easy. You can never tell before you start. I have done it about 5 times now, and this is what I have found out works for me:

First, fit the new rubber to the window without using any soap or other grease. This will help the glass to stay in its groove later during installation. You can either install the wires for the window heating now or wait until the window is installed in the car. There will be more work space for this, if you do it now, but everything will stay in place better if you wait. It is a bit down to your temper, I think.

Once the window sits nicely in its groove, use a little bit of wash-up liquid in the groove on the rubber (don´t use too much) and press the chrome trim pieces in by hand. Make sure the trim is not bent badly out of shape if you re-use the old chrome trim. Don´t forget the 3 little chrome trim connector pieces.

With the chrome trim fitted, now flip the window upside down, and put a liberal amount of wash-up liquid or soap in the inner groove of the rubber that goes on the edge on the car. Apply some to the edge on the car and targa bar, also. Slide in some thin strong wire, string or rubber covered cable, one thread on the horizontal part of the window, and one on the vertical part. (Tip: If you use a string that is thin enough, you can actually fit two strings in either part. This gives you two chances to have the window go on, if not all of the rubber falls into place after the first string is pulled out). Leave enough sticking out at either end to get a good grip, once you are ready to pull. I prefer to have the stainless steel targa bar cover removed from the car. Now place the window where it is supposed to be, and fit it so close to the metal edge as possible. Now you need the help of an assistent or two or three, to put a bit of pressure on the outside of the window and keep it in place, while you pull the string out from inside the car, pulling the rubber over the edge. Start with both corners, and pull both strings out about 20 cm from the corner. This will fixate the window a bit. Now pull the strings one at at time. As the rubber is pulled over the metal edge, it is important that the pressure from outside is held and the window and the chrome trim are kept in position until the rubber is in place along the rest of the edges. Sometimes you are lucky that it slips right on, sometimes it pops out of the groove at one place while you are about to install it at another. It takes a little bit of fiddling, teamwork, and sometimes a lot of sweat and swearing to find the right technique. And each step can take quite a long time to get right. Just hang in there, and you´ll be fine.

Good luck!
    Thomas
    1973 911S Targa

Take it to an experienced installer and pay him. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Ciao

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Take it to an experienced installer and pay him. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Ciao

Jim
    Exactly my thoughts. I watched a guy do one once. No desire to do it myself.

I figured this out a few years ago with much trouble along the way. One of the biggest things I found was to buy the window seal directly from Porsche as that is the best seal... there are a couple other version out there with rubber that is not right. You must figure out a system to install the window, where are you going to pull it in first, what areas are of concern to pop back out half way through the install. If the aluminum trim pops out of its channel then you must stop and do it all over again as there is no way to install the trim once the window is in place.

I start by pulling in the top and the bottom of the window first, do the corners second. Use only a cloth fiber rope to pull it in (not nylon), get 2 full size rope- same size as the glass perimeter, line the channel with both ropes. My technique here is to pull rubber into place with the first rope, then as a small corner inevitably pops out you get a second chance to pull it in with the second pull rope. You must have extreme patience, maybe a helper to push in on the window.

If you have never installed a window before then you need to learn with windshields first as the targa window is a skill level 10 out of 1-10.

one of the best tips for targa rears, a strap across the window to "pots" in the floor 2' outside the rear wheels. It applies consistent pressure to the glass as you pull "tuna fishing line". this could also be accomplished by parking the car on a 2x6, giving you outside tether points to which one can run the strap 45degrees from the garage floor, over the window and down the other side. easier than having 2 people on the outside palming, and one on the inside cussing and tugging. Still , targa rears are tough buggers.

#2 BEST TIP, really should be #1 GLYCERIN!!! it works slick, ahem, yes pun intended. Get a bottle at the pharmacy. use it on ALL rubber installs that do not glue.

I second Damon's strap solution. I've seen it done with a 3" cargo strap and come-along and the pressure it can apply is key.

Recently in doing a windshield install, I had the brilliant idea of using some "personal lubricant" I just happened to have... you can buy it at the drugstore and it has other uses than windshield installation, I hear.

So I guess I just put up a post dealing with bondage and 'personal lubricants.' Never thought that would happen.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Yes and you should give the window lots of firm spanks as it goes in, don't worry about hurting the glass it is tough tempered material and it deserves the abuse for being a bad window

Never try to reinsert popped Al trim once installed.Exercise in futility and gouged trim/rubber/paint , pull it and Start the whole process again from the beginning.

Wanted to share my recent experience installing a targa window. I had done it once before about 10 years ago because I could not find any shops that would do it for me. I recall it was a huge pain and was really not looking forward to doing it again but with the car all apart it wasn’t practical to take it anywhere assuming I could even find someone to do it.
    After using the search tool on this forum, I found the tutorial that describes strapping down the window, and starting from the Targa bar. Made sense to me, so I followed that guidance, and in less than 2 hours, my wife and I had it in! What a relief that was. I did learn a couple things in the process, and thought I would share.
    The window was out for a repaint, and I was able to use the same seal, so that was helpful. The aluminum trim was in the seal, and the seal was mostly on the window. I had some trouble keeping the seal on top of the window, and used a little tape to help keep it in place.
    I found some light cord/ string to put into the seals. It was pretty light, but strong. I got it down into the seal on the top and bottom of the glass and we put the window in place. Using the straps was a great idea. I was able to attach them to the sides of my garage entrance so that they did not put pressure on the quarter panels. I used two straps because they tend to slip, and if figured it wouldn’t hurt. I didn’t put a lot of pressure on them- just made them snug.

I then started getting the seal on the targa bar. My wife pulled slowly on the inside while I pushed vigorously on the outside, and the rubber popped over the metal lip with little problem. The corners were pretty stiff, but using a small screwdriver was able to coax the rubber over the metal. I gave the window a few more pushes to make sure it was seated as far as possible, and made sure the straps were still snug.
    We then started with the bottom part of the window. As I pushed in and down from the outside corner my wife started pulling the string. As she pulled, the string on the other side disappeared into the rubber seal. After a number of futile attempts to pull the string back, I reluctantly had to pull the window out again, and re-string both edges. This time, I made sure there was at least 8 inches of free string on both ends and I taped the ends of the bottom string to the inside of the window so they were in place when needed.
    This is probably the most important advice for your sanity. Accept the fact that you are going to have to go through this process a couple of times before you get the window in. Don’t stress, plan on enough time to do the job, and accept that you will learn more with each attempt!
    On the second try, same process, we got the Targa bar portion of the seal seated. Very carefully, and watching both ends we started pulling on the bottom. The advice to push in and down while thumping on the window as you pull the string was spot on. I followed around the window pushing and pounding on the window as my wife pulled the string. I could see the window sinking into place as the rubber was pulled out and over the metal lip. We got all the way around with only two small areas not pulled over the metal. I got inside and used a small angled dental tool (45 degree bend on the end of a small screwdriver) to push under the rubber and pull it over the metal. Success!
    So what did I learn about this? It really wasn’t that hard. I had planned on using a lubricant to help the rubber slip over the lip- but actually forgot to use it, and it worked fine. Might be helpful though. I have used Windex in the past as it makes it slippery, but then dries without a slimy soap like residue.
    So don’t be afraid to pull that targa window out if needed. Not a fun job, but definitely doable at home.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S