Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New dash from Lakewell.com

New dash from Lakewell.com

Lots of posts out there regarding the various dash options but I thought I'd throw one more into the mix.

I'd been reading about the poor fit of the current dashes available from Porsche, the recovered dashes, and the aftermarket dashes. I was intrigued by what I'd read about the reproduction dash available from some of the European vendors including Lakewell.com. I don't really have a pressing need for a dash right now but I was ordering some other bits from Lakewell and my curiosity got the better of me.

The dash arrived today and, if I'm honest, I'm very impressed. The quality and the finish is excellent. I was aware that the speaker grill wasn't removable on these dashes and I was curious about how it looked. I'm happy to report that it looks excellent. I haven't tried to fit it in a car yet but I compared it to another early dash I have and everything looks right. Next time I have a dash out of a car I'll test fit it and report back but I'm expecting it to fit very well. I'm by no means a concours judge but I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between this dash and a factory dash once it was in the car - it's that good.

I also had the opportunity to have a 914 dash recovered by JustDashes.com about a month ago. It was also very impressive. I may send them a 911 dash core (a much harder dash to recover) for recovering just so I can compare it to this Lakewell.com dash.

A few photos for anyone considering buying one of the Lakewell.com dashes.

Name:  dash1.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  65.4 KBName:  dash2.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  54.8 KBName:  dash3.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  173.2 KBName:  dash4.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  90.5 KB

I'm looking at getting my 1970 911 dash recovered/restored and have been quoted $800 for dash and speaker grill, can I ask how much for this one new?

Quote Originally Posted by Midlifecrisis View Post
    I'm looking at getting my 1970 911 dash recovered/restored and have been quoted $800 for dash and speaker grill, can I ask how much for this one new?
    About $1200 delivered after the euro exchange. Not cheap.

I recently had one recovered for a '74 car and it came out beautifully for much less $$. But it still had that incorrect seam. I can live with it in my '74 driver but I'd never be able to look at it every day in one of my original early cars. I think both a recovered dash and this one are good options depending on your goals and your budget.

Thanks for the info, my dash is in a pretty poor state so I might well go for new.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Midlifecrisis View Post
    Thanks for the info, my dash is in a pretty poor state so I might well go for new.
    ya think?

Good point....looking at it here it does look pretty crap.....

i bought and installed the Lakewell dash last year.
    it fit perfectly.
    i did have to trim the foam to get the original speaker to fit properly.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

I'm pretty sure Lakewell makes alot of components for the Porsche factory.

They dont, this I know for sure
    And they dont make this dash , they are just a reseller

M

What is the difference(manufacturer, etc.) between the Lakewell/Marek dash with a fixed speaker grill and the ones being sold through Sierra Madre and Stoddard that have a removable speaker grill?
    -Chris Mohr

S Registry #1978