Thread: Early Differential Option?

Early Differential Option?

Hi All

I'd like some advice particularly from the racing crowd on the direction I should take building an aluminum 901 box.

The box I'll be using currently has the rare 904 LSD and I have both CV and Nadella flanges to choose from. To be honest as I'm not required to run the original differential, I'm inclined to go with a Guard LSD and move the 904 diff and flanges to someone who must use these.

Is anyone running the guard in a 901 box and SWB?

If I move away from Nadellas to CV, can I use a LWB hub in the SWB swing arm? I have a spare set of 69 drive shafts and CVs.

What are the best type and length of CV shaft I should be chasing? I know I can specify which output flanges I need to Guard. But is suspect there is drive shaft length differences depending on the overall combination of flanges?

I hope I'm making sense? Thanks for any advice.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I'll try a couple of items. GT diff for Alu 901 is a great piece and would recommend it. The stub axles and wheel flanges in the SWB trailing arms are unique and 69 stuff won't fit. GT builds the diff for the two types of factory drive flanges, the early ones with the post up the middle and the later without the post. There was a limited number of Alu 901 trans for 69 with the 110mm drive flange and the smaller diameter shaft into the open diff which has a smaller inside diameter. Am I making sense. Don't have answers about drive shafts. Any outboard stub axle at 110mm would have to be custom, I believe. Gled

John, I agree with what Gordon said, but will add this...

The GT/Guard LSD is a more modern version of the ZF diff you have, in that it allows you to chose the power-vs-coast percentage of lock. The ZF is fixed in that respect. It just depends on how competitive you wish to be.

You can use your Nadella axles with a Guard diff, but will need standard Nadella flanges, not the ZF versions you have. They shouldn't be hard to find.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

John it might be worth a call to Modena Engineering who make the GT / Guard LSD to sound them out?

Telephone: +61 3 9782 4420
    Facsimile: +61 3 9782 4260
    Email: modena@smartchat.net.au
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Hi Cam

I didn't think Modena made the LSD, just the torque biased version?

Thanks Gordon and Jon. I think I'd like to run CV over Nadella - same story? Just locate CV flanges/shafts/hubs for the 68 model year?
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

I think they make the one you want

Worked very well in the ST rep!
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Gotcha, thanks mate.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga