Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 911SC and 911RS Comparison

911SC and 911RS Comparison

I have been wondering if anyone here has had the pleasure and privilege of driving a real RS and a stock 911SC side by side in order to compare their performance to each other. Well, last weekend I did. My 1982 911SC coupe with SSI Heat exchangers and Dansk exhaust weighs app 1190k and puts out around 205hp (this car is the 911SC that Wayne used for performing all of the 911 upgrades (including full rebuild) from his book "101 Projects for your Porsche 911"). In comparison, the original stock 911RS touring car puts out app 210hp and weighs appr 1075. On paper the RS has 255lbs of torque @ 5100, while the 3.0SC has 267lbs @ 4300. In everything else but torque, the RS has the edge.
    In having driven both, my conclusion is that while the RS had a jump on the SC from a standing start, and the RS above 6200 was able to walk away from the SC (not run), in between 2500-6000 the SC held it's ground very well and stayed with the RS without keeping the car constantly at redline.
    As regards handling, my SC was very good in the turns, (I would even say better that the RS). But because of its value, I did not push the RS hard - it isn't my car ;-) so the handling comparison may not be very fair. In addition, my SC also has been upgraded by Wayne per his 101 Projects book; it has Bilsteins sports al around, an aftermarket Weltmeister front stabilizer bar, and the car has been lowered and corner balanced. Bottom line though is that the SC was very capable of staying with the RS in the turns as well.
    In summary, although there is no question that the original 12973 911RS is a brilliant car, and the apex of all early 911 cars, I would suggest that anyone who has always dreamed of owning a real RS, and has been priced out of the market, a much cheaper and almost equally rewarding option may be to buy yourself a nice 78-83SC, get Wayne's book and follow his upgrades, and you can have a pretty good sportscar in its own right - without spending 6 figures in the process.
    Here are a few videos of the SC behind the RS (plse excuse the hand held camera). ;-(
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/30059306@N06/10644606903/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/30059306@N06/10641855746/

As numerous people have mentioned over the years, the 911SC has been referred to as "Zuffenhausen's secret weapon". And my response is, how much of a secret could it have been? Porsche sold over 78,000 911SC's !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gruen911; 11-03-2013 at 08:33 PM.

I have a 3.0 SC. It is true blue 911. (But) The only thing i dont like about it is at 5k RPM it tells me it aint gonna go no more. What is the 6 and 7k mark on the tach for then ?! Bogglez my mind why they let this engine design out of the factory. Its like a 4k to 5,000 rpm rocket and them after 5,000 rpm its like a Hyundai Excel c 1991.

image.jpg

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

The cams determine the character of an engine, moving the torque curve a bit higher with a cam change will solve that. I "think" 901 S, and 964 cams are two of the cams some people use for this conversion. Experts feel free to correct/ add/ modify.
    Rob Abbott

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    The cams determine the character of an engine, moving the torque curve a bit higher with a cam change will solve that. I "think" 901 S, and 964 cams are two of the cams some people use for this conversion. Experts feel free to correct/ add/ modify.
    Yep,
    S for Carbs, 964 cams for CIS I've been told.

Cheers
    X
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Just wondering why the moderator moved this thread from "General Info" to "Other Porsche Passions". I didn't realize that comparing a 911RS to an SC was another passion??? Another passion might be a Porsche Design watch, or perhaps a Porsche 928. What am I missing?
    Last edited by gruen911; 11-03-2013 at 09:30 AM.

East Coast
    Reza my friend, please change out that tail

OG3
    RG715

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    I have a 3.0 SC. It is true blue 911. (But) The only thing i dont like about it is at 5k RPM it tells me it aint gonna go no more. What is the 6 and 7k mark on the tach for then ?! Bogglez my mind why they let this engine design out of the factory. Its like a 4k to 5,000 rpm rocket and them after 5,000 rpm its like a Hyundai Excel c 1991.
    My 204hp SC pulls strongly to 6500rpm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matt Hart
    matthartcreative@instagram
    RHD 914
    1980 911SC (sold)
    69' T (sold)
    Early 911s reg # 994

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911 View Post
    1982 911SC coupe with:
    - SSI Heat exchangers and MK sport exhaust
    - Bilsteins sports all around,
    - aftermarket Weltmeister front stabilizer bar
    - lowered and corner balanced
    Are those the only changes from stock?
    ("my SC also has been upgraded by Wayne per his 101 Projects book" could imply other 'projects')

Also, did you drive both cars back to back (with no delay) over the same road course?

Thanks for your comparison!

Just wondering why the moderator moved this thread from "General Info" to "Other Porsche Passions".
    Sorry gruen.......But the thread became much more 'SCcentric' then a comparison.........no fault of yours

The thread should live, and will probably thrive over here...........

Cheers

BTW - About 20 years ago a buddy of mine owned '80SC Weissach when I still had the stock 2.4S in my '73. Even though the torque specs and characteristics were completely different we would both get to the next turn at just about exactly the same time.
    So, in my experienced the comparison between a 2.4S and SC might be closer then an RS......
    But then again, the few times I've driven RS's I wasn't chasing or being chased by an SC......

.... just my .02
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Chuck, thanks for the clarification.

37yrold911,
    Yes, the comparison was made back to back over the same course. However, there was no timer involved or formalized course. My friend and I simply took turns driving each other's cars. I can't say how hard he pushed his RS when he was driving it, or how hard he pushed my SC when we switched ( I was always in the other car ). But I know how hard I drove both cars, and I don't think my friend rolled over just to intentionally make me feel like my SC would compare favorably to his RS (by the way, he has driven my SC before and was very impressed by it). As for other upgrades per Wayne's book, these are primarily non performance things like upgraded carrera oil cooler, pop off valve, etc. - not necessarily things that would increase hp, but things which would enhance longevity, and/or increase the car's reliability.

Matt911,
    I agree with you. Having no power above 5k rev's on a 3.0SC is not normal, and Reza should take his car to a shop and have the motor and CIS system checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    Are those the only changes from stock?
    ("my SC also has been upgraded by Wayne per his 101 Projects book" could imply other 'projects')

Also, did you drive both cars back to back (with no delay) over the same road course?

Thanks for your comparison!
    Last edited by gruen911; 11-03-2013 at 09:12 PM.